Guadalajara Film Festival
|Born||Claudia Llosa Bueno
November 15, 1976
Life and career
She was born in Lima, studied in Newton College and received a degree in communication studies in the University of Lima. She is the niece of the Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa and the film director Luis Llosa. At the end of the 1990s she moved to Madrid, Spain. From 1998 to 2001 she studied at the film academy Escuela TAI. At the end of her studies she started working on the script for Madeinusa. She moved to Barcelona working in the advertising industry.
Madeinusa enjoyed its premiere in competition at Sundance Festival 2006, won the prize for the best unpublished script at the 2003 Havana Film Festival and several international awards, including the FIPRESCI international critics award at Rotterdam Festival and the Best Latin American Film Award at Malaga Festival, among others.
In 2009 Llosa finished her second film The Milk of Sorrow (La teta asustada) which was shortlisted for the 59th Berlin International Film Festival. It was the first Peruvian film nominated for the Golden Bear award, and won the main award.
On February 2, 2010 Llosa's The Milk of Sorrow was nominated for the Academy Award in the Best Foreign Film Category. Also in 2010 Claudia Llosa was invited to become a member of Hollywood’s Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
In 2012 Claudia Llosa's short Loxoro, produced by the Oscar winner Juan José Campanella was shortlisted for the Berlin International Film Festival. Loxoro won the Teddy Award in the category of Best Short Film.
- 2006: Madeinusa
- 2009: The Milk of Sorrow (La teta asustada)
- 2010: El niño pepita
- 2012: Loxoro
- 2014: Aloft
To date no other movie has been scheduled to be directed by Llosa.
- "La teta asustada at berlinale.de (PDF 138 KB)" (PDF).
- Kuhlbrodt, Detlef: Die Reichen, die die Lieder der Armen stehlen. In: die tageszeitung, 13. Februar 2009, S. 26
- Oscar Nominations: Foreign Film Category
- "First Films for Competition and Berlinale Special". berlinale. Retrieved 2013-12-31.
- Interview zu Madeinusa bei cinemawithoutborders.com (englisch)
- Interview zu Madeinusa bei kinothusis.ch (PDF-Datei, deutsch; 25,2 KB)
- Claudia Llosa on IMDb
- The Magic Realism of Peruvian Claudia Llosa's 'La Teta Asustada' and 'Madeinusa.'