Webbe in 2019
|Member of Parliament|
for Leicester East
|Assumed office |
12 December 2019
|Preceded by||Keith Vaz|
|Islington London Borough Councillor|
|Assumed office |
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Donna Boffa|
Claudia Naomi Webbe
8 March 1965
|Labour (until 2020)|
She is also a councillor in the London Borough of Islington, having previously served as its cabinet member for energy, environment and transport. She was a member of the National Executive Committee of the Labour Party from 2016 to 2019.
She was elected to Parliament as a Labour candidate in 2019, but was suspended from the Labour whip in September 2020 after being charged with harassment.
Early life and education
Webbe was born and brought up in Leicester. She studied social science at De Montfort University, Leicester, followed by a master's degree in race and ethnic relations at Birkbeck, University of London.
Webbe was the Chair of the Operation Trident Independent Advisory Group, a community-led initiative created in the mid 1990s to tackle the disproportionate effects of gun violence on black communities. Webbe led the media campaigns group of Operation Trident. Following the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry of 1999, the Metropolitan Police launched a dedicated Operation Trident police response unit in 2000, whose remit was to prevent, investigate and solve gun related murders where both the victim and the assailant are black. In 2010, it was reported that Operation Trident would be disbanded as part of spending cuts.
In February 2013, Trident was reformed as the Trident Gang Crime Command to focus on youth violence, with the police chairing the Trident Independent Advisory Group itself. Webbe opposed the change, and called it "a backwards step on race".
Early political career
Webbe was a policy director and adviser to the mayor of London, Ken Livingstone. She was responsible for culture, cultural strategy, sports and tourism, and was a member of his election campaign team in 2000 and 2004.
Webbe stood for election as a councillor in Islington in 2006 but was unsuccessful. She was elected as a Labour councillor to Islington London Borough Council in 2010, representing Bunhill ward. She was re-elected in 2014 and 2018. She served as the council's executive member for the environment and transport.
In 2016, Webbe was elected to the Labour Party's National Executive Committee (NEC), finishing third in the ballot with 92,377 votes. In 2018, Webbe was shortlisted to become the Labour candidate in the Lewisham East by-election, but finished third in a vote among local party members and was not selected. In July 2018, she was elected as chair of the NEC Disputes Panel.
She was selected as the Labour candidate for Leicester East for the 2019 general election. Her selection resulted in the resignation of the Constituency Labour Party chair, who described it as "a fix", and some in the local British Indian community were angry that one of their candidates was not interviewed. Webbe was elected with a majority of 6,019.
Webbe has been appointed to the Environmental Audit Committee; the Backbench Business Committee; the Foreign Affairs Committee; the Committee of Arms Export Control and the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe. She has been a member of the Socialist Campaign Group of Labour MPs.
On 28 September 2020, Webbe was charged with harassment against a woman between 1 September 2018 and 26 April 2020 and scheduled to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 11 November 2020. She was subsequently suspended from the Labour whip pending the outcome of the case but remains a member of the Labour Party. On 11 November 2020, Webbe pleaded not guilty and is due to appear for trial on 16 March 2021.
- Allegretti, Aubrey (28 September 2020). "Claudia Webbe: Leicester East MP charged with harassment against woman". Sky News. Retrieved 28 September 2020.
- Claudia Webbe [@ClaudiaWebbe] (8 March 2020). "Its my birthday, [...]" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Claudia Webbe". www.facebook.com.
- "Councillor details - Councillor Claudia Webbe". democracy.islington.gov.uk. 22 November 2020. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "Claudia Webbe". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "Who's who on Labour's National Executive Committee?". 10 October 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Martin, Dan (13 November 2019). "Claudia Webbe chosen to replace Keith Vaz as Labour Leicester East General Election 2019 candidate". Leicester Mercury. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
- Syal, Rajeev (21 November 2010). "Operation Trident may be ditched in spending cuts". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Q&A: Operation Trident". BBC News. 14 September 2006. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "Trident Independent Advisory Group 'loses independence' claim". BBC News. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- Dodd, Vikram (7 February 2013). "Met police shakeup of gang violence panel 'is backwards step' on race". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "Written Answers", House of Lords, Hansard, Vol. 623, 22 March 2001.
- "Airports: Bta Recommendations", House of Lords, Hansard, Vol. 623, 22 March 2001.
- "Bunhill". Islington Council. 6 May 2010. Archived from the original on 8 March 2017. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Bunhill Ward". Islington Council. Archived from the original on 8 March 2017. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- Gelder, Sam (10 May 2018). "Claudia Webbe: Islington transport chief announces bid to be Labour candidate for Lewisham East by-election". Islington Gazette. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Claudia Webbe elected chair of Labour's disputes panel". Labourlist. 3 July 2018. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Leicester East Labour chairman quits 'laughing stock' party". BBC.com. 18 November 2019. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- "Labour taking Indian-heritage voters for granted?". BBC Two. 19 November 2019. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- "Parliamentary career for Claudia Webbe - MPs and Lords - UK Parliament". members.parliament.uk.
- Walker, Peter; Syal, Rajeev (28 September 2020). "Labour suspends MP Claudia Webbe over harassment charge". The Guardian. Retrieved 28 September 2020.
- Skopeliti, Clea (12 November 2020). "Claudia Webbe: MP threatened and made numerous unwanted calls to woman, court told". The Independent. Retrieved 14 November 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Claudia Webbe.|
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Claudia Webbe on IMDb
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Leicester East