|Minister of Infrastructure|
|Assumed office |
07 April 2018
|Preceded by||James Musoni|
|Minister of Finance and Economic Planning|
26 February 2013 – 06 April 2018
|Succeeded by||Uzziel Ndagijimana|
|Born||May 23, 1962|
|Alma mater||University of British Columbia (BSc, MSc)|
|Cabinet||Cabinet of Rwanda|
Claver Gatete (born 23 May 1962) is a Rwandan politician and former ambassador, who currently serves as the Minister of Infrastructure in the Rwandan cabinet. Prior to his appointment in April 2018, he served as Minister of Finance and Economic Planning. He has previously served as the Governor of the National Bank of Rwanda and as Rwanda's ambassador to the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Iceland.
Background and education
Claver Gatete was born in Mbarara, Uganda on 23 May 1962, where he was raised and educated. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Economics from the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, awarded in 1991. His Master of Science, also in Agricultural Economics, was awarded in 1993, by the same university.
Upon the completion of his university studies, Gatete worked in Canada as an economist between 1991 and 1997, and then worked as the national economist with the United Nations Development Programme in Rwanda until 2000.
In October 2001, Gatete joined the office of the president as the president's personal representative to NEPAD's Steering Committee. He concurrently served as the Coordinator of the National African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM) and as a Member of the NEPAD's African Partnership Forum (APF), until November 2003.
From November 2005 until December 2009, Gatete was Rwanda's ambassador to the UK, Ireland and Iceland, before joining the National Bank of Rwanda as the deputy governor. He then served as the Governor of the National Bank of Rwanda from May 2011, before his appointment as the Minister of Finance.
- Minecofin (2013). "Rwanda Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning: The Minister - Claver Gatete". Kigali: Rwanda Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (Minecofin). Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- WB (7 October 2017). "Claver Gatete: Minister of Finance and Economic Planning, Government of Rwanda". Washington, DC: World Bank (WB). Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- MOD (2011). "Cabinet Reshuffle". Kigali: Rwanda Ministry of Defence (MOD). Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- "Musoni fired". en.igihe.com. Retrieved 2018-04-07.
- "Rwanda's president names new finance minister in reshuffle". Reuters. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- AfDB Annual Report 2016 African Development Bank (AfDB).
- "IMDB". IMDB.