December 8, 1981
Round Lake, Illinois, United States
|Other names||The Carpenter|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Weight||146 lb (66 kg; 10 st 6 lb)|
|Division||Lightweight (155 lb) (2003-2012)
Featherweight (145 lb) (2012-present)
|Reach||70.0 in (178 cm)|
|Style||Shooto, Gaidojutsu, Wrestling, BJJ|
|Fighting out of||Sacramento, California|
|Team||Team Alpha Male|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||William Rainey Harper College|
|Notable relatives||Jason Guida (brother)|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Clayton "The Carpenter" Guida (//; born December 8, 1981) is an American professional mixed martial artist, fighting in the UFC as a Featherweight. A professional competitor since 2003, Guida has also formerly competed for Strikeforce, the WEC, and Shooto. Guida was the inaugural Strikeforce Lightweight Champion, and as of August 17, 2015, he was #11 in the official UFC featherweight rankings. He holds notable victories over former UFC Lightweight champions Rafael Dos Anjos and Anthony Pettis.
Mixed martial arts career
His next fight was against Diego Sanchez, at The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom Finale which he lost by split decision. The fight had a frantic pace in which Guida weathered a ferocious striking offensive from Sanchez, with a seemingly endless barrage of punches and a brutal headkick which dropped Guida in the first round. This bout went on to win Fight of the Night honors. The fight would later make #13 on the "100 Greatest UFC fights" list.
Despite his status as an up-and-coming UFC fighter he was not included in the UFC 2009 Undisputed video game due to technical issues caused by his long hair. He was even offered $10,000 by Dana White to cut it, but he refused.
Guida was expected to face Sean Sherk on March 21, 2010 at UFC LIVE: Vera vs. Jones, but Sherk was forced off the card with an injury. Shannon Gugerty stepped up to become Guida's new opponent on the preliminary section of the event. At UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones Guida defeated Shannon Gugerty at 3:40 of round 2 by way of arm-triangle choke, ending Guida's two fight losing streak along with winning his first UFC Submission of the Night award.
Guida then faced Rafael dos Anjos on August 7, 2010 at UFC 117. Guida appeared to injure the jaw of dos Anjos in the first round with a hook and would go on to defeat dos Anjos by submission (jaw injury) after dos Anjos tapped from the pressure being applied to his jaw while Guida had head-and-arm control.
Guida defeated Takanori Gomi on January 1, 2011 at UFC 125 by submission due to a guillotine choke in round two, his third consecutive submission victory which also earned him Submission of the Night honors.
Guida faced Gray Maynard on June 22, 2012 at UFC on FX 4. Guida lost to Maynard via split decision. During the post-fight press conference, Guida drew much criticism for his non-combatant, elusive and frustrating game plan. When asked by reporters how he thought he did, Guida said he was "happy with his performance". Dana White wholeheartedly disagreed, calling the fight "boring" and said "the fight sucked". White also told Guida that his UFC career is over if he continues to fight in such a manner.
For his next fight, Guida moved down to the featherweight division and faced Hatsu Hioki on January 26, 2013 at UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Dodson. Despite being outstruck by Hioki for the majority of the fight, Guida was able to take Hioki down multiple times using a strong top game and avoid Hioki's submission attempts from the bottom. Guida defeated Hioki via split decision.
A rescheduled bout with Mendes took place on August 31, 2013 at UFC 164. After a close first and second round, Guida was defeated by Mendes via TKO by punches, marking the first time ever in his career that he was finished by strikes.
Clay Guida starred in a National commercial for SafeAuto Insurance. The commercial was filmed in Columbus, Ohio in April 2011. Guida is one of several fighters who represents the SafeAuto Fight Team.
Guida is managed by VFD Sports Marketing, a sports marketing company that focuses on UFC athletes.
Championships and accomplishments
- Strikeforce Lightweight Championship (One time; first)
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- FIGHT! Magazine
- Fight of the Year vs. Roger Huerta (2007)
- World MMA Awards
- Fight of the Year vs. Diego Sanchez (2009)
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter
- Fight of the Year (2009) vs. Diego Sanchez on June 20
- Tequila CAZADORES Spirit Award
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|49 matches||32 wins||17 losses|
|Loss||32–17||Brian Ortega||KO (knee)||UFC 199||June 4, 2016||3||4:40||Inglewood, California, United States|
|Loss||32–16||Thiago Tavares||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3||November 7, 2015||1||0:39||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||32–15||Robbie Peralta||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas||April 4, 2015||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Loss||31–15||Dennis Bermudez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. Brown||July 26, 2014||2||2:57||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||31–14||Tatsuya Kawajiri||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Nelson||April 11, 2014||3||5:00||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||30–14||Chad Mendes||TKO (punches)||UFC 164||August 31, 2013||3||0:30||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||30–13||Hatsu Hioki||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Dodson||January 26, 2013||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Featherweight debut.|
|Loss||29–13||Gray Maynard||Decision (split)||UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida||June 22, 2012||5||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||29–12||Benson Henderson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos||November 12, 2011||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States||UFC Lightweight title eliminator. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||29–11||Anthony Pettis||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos Finale||June 4, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||28–11||Takanori Gomi||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 125||January 1, 2011||2||4:27||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||27–11||Rafael dos Anjos||Submission (jaw injury)||UFC 117||August 7, 2010||3||1:51||Oakland, California, United States|
|Win||26–11||Shannon Gugerty||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones||March 21, 2010||2||3:40||Broomfield, Colorado, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||25–11||Kenny Florian||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 107||December 12, 2009||2||2:19||Memphis, Tennessee, United States|
|Loss||25–10||Diego Sanchez||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom Finale||June 20, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||25–9||Nate Diaz||Decision (split)||UFC 94||January 31, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||24–9||Mac Danzig||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Diaz vs Neer||September 17, 2008||3||5:00||Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Win||23–9||Samy Schiavo||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Florian vs Lauzon||April 2, 2008||1||4:15||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Loss||22–9||Roger Huerta||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Hughes vs Team Serra Finale||December 8, 2007||3||0:51||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||22–8||Marcus Aurélio||Decision (split)||UFC 74||August 25, 2007||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||21–8||Tyson Griffin||Decision (split)||UFC 72||June 16, 2007||3||5:00||Belfast, Northern Ireland||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||21–7||Din Thomas||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Evans vs Salmon||January 25, 2007||3||5:00||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Win||21–6||Justin James||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 64||October 14, 2006||2||4:42||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||20–6||Joe Martin||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 23||August 17, 2006||3||5:00||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Loss||19–6||Yusuke Endo||Submission (armbar)||Shooto 2006: 7/21 in Korakuen Hall||July 21, 2006||1||2:47||Tokyo, Japan|
|Loss||19–5||Gilbert Melendez||Decision (split)||Strikeforce: Revenge||June 9, 2006||5||5:00||San Jose, California, United States||Lost the Strikeforce Lightweight Championship|
|Win||19–4||Josh Thomson||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Gracie||March 10, 2006||5||5:00||San Jose, California, United States||Won the Strikeforce Lightweight Championship|
|Loss||18–4||Tristan Yunker||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Redemption on the River||February 17, 2006||1||1:17||Moline, Illinois, United States|
|Win||18–3||Joe Jordan||Decision (unanimous)||Xtreme Fighting Organization 8||December 10, 2005||3||5:00||Lakemoor, Illinois, United States|
|Win||17–3||Jeff Carsten||TKO (injury)||Ironheart Crown 9: Purgatory||November 19, 2005||1||3:01||Hammond, Indiana, United States|
|Win||16–3||Dave Cochran||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Xtreme Edge||September 17, 2005||1||2:26||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||15–3||John Strawn||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Xtreme Fighting Organization 7||August 27, 2005||2||3:12||Island Lake, Illinois, United States|
|Win||14–3||Jay Estrada||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Combat Do Fighting Challenge 4||August 13, 2005||1||3:42||Cicero, Illinois, United States|
|Win||13–3||Bart Palaszewski||Decision (unanimous)||Xtreme Fighting Organization 6: Judgement Day||June 25, 2005||3||5:00||Lakemoor, Illinois, United States|
|Win||12–3||Alonzo Martinez||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Xtreme Kage Kombat: Des Moines||May 20, 2005||3||N/A||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||11–3||Chris Mickle||Decision (unanimous)||Xtreme Kage Kombat: Des Moines||May 20, 2005||3||5:00||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||10–3||Alex Carter||Submission (punches)||Combat Do Fighting Challenge 3||May 14, 2005||1||2:54||Cicero, Illinois, United States|
|Win||9–3||Brandon Adamson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Xtreme Fighting Organization 5||March 19, 2005||1||3:02||Lakemoor, Illinois, United States|
|Win||8–3||Billy Guardiola||Submission (ankle lock)||Combat Do Fighting Challenge 2||February 5, 2005||1||N/A||Cicero, Illinois, United States|
|Win||7–3||Dennis Davis||KO (knee)||MMA Mexico Day 2||December 18, 2004||1||N/A||Ciudad Juárez, Mexico|
|Win||6–3||Vito Woods||Submission (guillotine choke)||Xtreme Fighting Organization 4||December 3, 2004||2||1:19||McHenry, Illinois, United States|
|Win||5–3||Randy Hauer||TKO (punches)||Extreme Challenge 60||November 12, 2004||1||2:25||Medina, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||4–3||Billy Guardiola||Submission (ankle lock)||Combat Do Fighting Challenge 1||October 23, 2004||1||N/A||Cicero, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||3–3||Gabe Lemley||Submission (armbar)||Xtreme Fighting Organization 2: New Blood||June 26, 2004||2||0:33||Fontana, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||3–2||Jed Deno||Submission (choke)||Ultimate Combat Sports 2: Battle at the Barn||May 1, 2004||1||3:35||Rochester, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||2–2||Shawn Nolan||Submission (choke)||Xtreme Kage Kombat: Clash in Curtiss 5||April 3, 2004||N/A||N/A||Curtiss, Wisconsin, United States|
|Loss||1–2||Dan Duke||Submission (choke)||Xtreme Kage Kombat: Clash in Curtiss 5||April 3, 2004||N/A||N/A||Curtiss, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||1–1||Adam Bass||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Xtreme Fighting Organization 1: The Kickoff||March 14, 2004||1||2:53||Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, United States|
|Loss||0–1||Adam Copenhaver||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Silverback Classic 17||July 26, 2003||1||N/A||Ottawa, Illinois, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Lawler vs. Brown". UFC.com. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- [dead link]
- "Fighter Rankings - UFC ®". UFC.
- Maggie Hendricks. "Clay Guida answers your questions on energy, music and haircuts".
- "Source: Sherk vs. Guida in works for March UFC Fight Night card in Denver". nwi.com/mma. Retrieved 2010-01-09.
- "Sherk scratched; Gugerty to face Guida at UFC on Versus 1 in March". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2010-01-18. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- "Clay Guida vs. Rafael dos Anjos Set for UFC 117 on August 7 in Oakland". mmafrenzy.com. 2010-05-10.
- "UFC 117 main card recap, miracle submission saves champ Anderson Silva". mmajunkie.com. August 7, 2010.
- "Anthony Pettis vs. Clay Guida set, tapped The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale headliner". mmajunkie.com. January 21, 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-01-24.
- "Clay Guida vs. Ben Henderson in the works for UFC on FOX 1". mmajunkie.com. 2011-09-06. Archived from the original on 2011-10-21.
- "Guida vs. Maynard headlines UFC on FX 4". mmajunkie.com. March 18, 2012.
- "Dana White tells Guida: This isn't Dancing with the Stars". ESPN. 23 June 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Clay Guida-Hatsu Hioki added to UFC on FOX 6 in Chicago". mmajunkie.com. November 7, 2012.
- "UFC on FOX 6 play by play and live results". mmajunkie.com. January 26, 2013.
- Dann Stupp (February 12, 2013). "Chad Mendes meets Clay Guida at UFC on FOX 7". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2013-02-15.
- Greg Savage (2013-03-15). "Clay Guida Injured, Out of Chad Mendes Fight at UFC on Fox 7". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Mookie Alexander (2013-05-22). "Chad Mendes vs. Clay Guida targeted for UFC 164". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- BWylie (2014-02-14). "Tatsuya Kawajiri returns at UFC Fight Night 39, faces Clay Guida in Abu Dhabi". fightsportasia.com. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- Staff (2014-04-11). "UFC Fight Night 39 bonuses: Clay Guida, Tatsuya Kawajiri nab 'FOTN' honors". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-11.
- Staff (2014-05-16). "Dennis Bermudez vs. Clay Guida booked for July's UFC on FOX 12 event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- Staff (2015-01-29). "UFC Fight Night 63 adds Clay Guida-Robbie Peralta to lineup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-29.
- Staff (2015-09-18). "Clay Guida vs. Thiago Tavares added to UFC Fight Night 77 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-11-07). "UFC Fight Night 77 results: Clay Guida slam backfires into quick sub for Thiago Tavares". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- Chuck Mindenhall (2016-04-13). "Clay Guida set to clash with Brian Ortega at UFC 199". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- Dave Doley (2016-06-04). "UFC 199 results: Brian Ortega steals win from Clay Guida with last-minute knockout". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "Clay Guida is the Fan's Choice for the Tequila CAZADORES Spirit Award for UFC 117". Kuam.com.
- "UFC 125: Clay Guida talks fighting Takanori Gomi and wins Tequila C...". MMA-Core.
- "Clay Guida defeats Anthony Pettis". middleeasy.com. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clay Guida.|
- Clay Guida's official website
- Official UFC profile
- Go Time for Guida
- Professional MMA record for Clay Guida from Sherdog
|New championship||1st Strikeforce Lightweight Champion
March 10, 2006 – June 9, 2006