Clay Township, Gallia County, Ohio
|Clay Township, Gallia County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Gallia County
|• Total||22.6 sq mi (58.4 km2)|
|• Land||22.1 sq mi (57.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||581 ft (177 m)|
|• Density||85.0/sq mi (32.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086134|
Located in the southeastern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Gallipolis Township - north
- Ohio Township - south
- Guyan Township - southwest corner
- Harrison Township - west
- Green Township - northwest
It is located downstream of three of the county's five other Ohio River townships.
No municipalities are located in Clay Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Gallia County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.[dead link][dead link]
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.