St Bede's Catholic Church, Clayton-le-Woods
|Population||14,532 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Clayton-le-Woods (Commonly shortened to Clayton) is a large village and civil parish of the Borough of Chorley, in Lancashire, England. According to the census of 2001, it has a population of 14,528. At the 2011 census the population of Cuerden civil parish was included within Clayton-le-Woods, giving a total of 14,532.
Situated to the north of the town of Chorley, Clayton-le-Woods is only a few miles from the city of Preston and adjacent to the large villages of Leyland and Bamber Bridge. The villages of Clayton Brook, Whittle-le-Woods, Brindle and Buckshaw Village are also located next to Clayton-le-Woods.
The village is divided in two by Cuerden Valley Park and the River Lostock, the western part bordering Leyland and the eastern bordering Whittle-le-Woods. The village is close to different junctions of the motorway network, junctions 28 & 29 of the M6, junction 8 & 9 of the M61, and junction 1A, 1 and 2 of the M65. There is also a smaller area called Wood End, West of the village, close to Leyland. It was built between the 1960s and 1980s.
The village has six primary schools in its vicinity. The primary schools are, Clayton-le-Woods CE, Lancaster Lane, Westwood, Clayton Brook, Manor Road and St Bede's RC. A library was built in the village in 1985, located in Clayton Green next to Cuerden Valley Park.
There are a number of pubs, a large supermarket (Asda), a sports centre and two hotels all located within the village. The village is split into five areas; Cloverfield, Annecy, Wood End, Leylandside (the area of Clayton beside Leyland), Cuerden and Clayton Green. Charcoal burning is still being carried out by coppicing the woods, in the grounds of nearby Cuerden Hall.
There are also linen hand weavers' cottages which are located on Sheep Hill Lane.
Clayton-le-Woods has four local bus services operated by Stagecoach in Chorley and Preston Bus respectively. The 125 Stagecoach Gold route, connects Clayton-le-Woods to Chorley, Preston and Bolton. The 109 is operated by Stagecoach Merseyside & South Lancashire, and connects the village to nearby Leyland, Preston and Chorley.
The village lies along the A6 known locally as Preston Road, as well as this, Clayton-le-Woods is connected by the B5256 between Blackburn and Leyland, the B5254 between Clayton and Leyland, the M6 at Junction 28 and 29, the M61 at Junction 8 and 9 and the M65 at Junction 1A, 1 and 2. Further roads, such as the A49, connect Clayton to Buckshaw Village, Euxton, Charnock Richard and Wigan.
- Surrealist painter Leonora Carrington OBE (1917 – 2011) was born in Westwood House, Clayton Green.
Asda store, Clayton Green (2007)
- Clayton-le-Woods CP (Parish) Archived 28 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine. URL accessed 30 June 2007.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Clayton-le-Woods Parish (E04005146)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- "Welcome to the Library and Information Service Website - History of Clayton Green". Lancashire County Council. Archived from the original on 13 June 2011. Retrieved 26 February 2008.
- "Chorley : Clayton-le-Woods". Archived from the original on 27 September 2007.
- "Lancashire Parish Councils: Home". web.archive.org. 7 January 2006.
- "Leonora Carrington - Lancashire's Surrealist Painter | www.chorleyheritagecentre.co.uk". chorleyheritagecentre.co.uk. 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clayton-le-Woods.|