Clayton Township, Genesee County, Michigan
|Charter Township of Clayton, Michigan
|• Supervisor||Brian Sepanak|
|• Clerk||Dennis Milem|
|• Trustee||Greg Childers, Rick Caruso, Chris Gehringer, Tammy Kapraun|
|• Total||34.2 sq mi (88.7 km2)|
|• Land||34.3 sq mi (88.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||764 ft (233 m)|
|• Density||221.67/sq mi (88.51/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||48433, 48449, 48473, 48532|
|GNIS feature ID||1626093|
- The Village of Lennon is partially within the township on the western border.
|2004–2008||Roderick Shumaker||Sally Lurvey||Beth Perkins
Patti Mlynek (Interim)
|Greg Childers||Glenn Huffman||Roger Meier||John Sayer|
|2008–2009||Bruce Beatty1. (11/3/2009)||Dennis Milem||Natalie Dennings||Greg Childers||Jennifer Henry2. (5/12/2009)||Glenn Huffman1. (11/3/2009)||Chuck Shinouskis1. (11/3/2009)|
|2009–2010||Roger Meier 3. (12/10/09)||Dennis Milem||Natalie Dennings||Greg Childers||John Simor3. (7/09/09)||John Sayer3. (12/10/09)||Jane Wracan3. (12/10/09)|
|2010–2011||Brian Sepanak||Dennis Milem||Natalie Dennings||Greg Childers||Rick Caruso||Chris Gehringer||Tammy Kapraun|
1. Recalled. 2. Resigned. 3. Appointed.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 34.2 square miles (89 km2), all land. The southeast corner is separated from the rest of the township by the city of Swartz Creek. Misteguay Creek has its headwaters in the township.
In the late 1980s, the township's land was mostly dedicated to farming. A few subdivisions existed on the north and east sides of the township, closer to urban areas, as well as one in the middle of the township. The Village of Lennon and Swartz Creek Meadows, a mobile home park near the village, were the other built-up areas.
Since then, several large farms have been turned into subdivisions, and large houses have been constructed in more rural sections.
||Flushing Township||Mt. Morris Township|
|Flint Charter Township|
|Vernon Township||Swartz Creek
Clayton has a Supervisor-Board style township government with elected supervisor, clerk, treasurer and four trustees.
The township and Swartz Creek cooperate in operating the Swartz Creek Area Fire Department, which has one fire station in each of the two municipalities. The Clayton Township Police Department was formed in 2002 after the passage of a public service property tax by residents.
|U.S. Representative||5||Dan Kildee|
|State Senate||27||Jim Ananich|
|State Representative||48th||Richard E. Hammel|
|County Commissioner||8th||Ted Henry|
|School District||Swartz Creek||Multiple: see article|
|Community College||C.S. Mott|
|Source: 1873 Genesee County Atlas.
Census Bureau. Census 1960- 2000, 2010.
At the 2010 census, there were 7,581 people, 2,897 households and 2,198 families residing in the township. The population density was 221.67 per square mile (88.51/km²). There were 3,097 housing units at an average density of 90.56 per square mile (34.92/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 93.2% White, 3.2% African American, 0.5% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 0.1% from Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 0.8% from other races, and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.8% of the population.
There were 2,897 households of which 20.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.7% were married couples living together, 8.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.1% were non-families. 20.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.01.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Clayton Township, Genesee County, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (October 1, 1986) . Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities. Great Lakes Books Series (Paperback). Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. p. 568. ISBN 081431838X. ISBN 978-0814318386.
- Genesee and Shiawassee Counties Map 1855. Currently replicated at Swartz Creek City Hall.
- Bryn Mickle. Voters recall supervisor and two trustees in Clayton Township. November 03, 2009 (retrieved on 11/16/2009). Flint Journal: (Booth Newspapers), Flint, Michigan.
- "Supervisor gets wish -- a Pay Cut." Page A9. December 13, 2009. Flint Journal: (Booth Newspapers), Flint, Michigan.
- The National Map Archived 2012-04-05 at WebCite, accessed 2015-08-21
- Beers, Frederick W. (1873). Atlas of Genesee Co., Michigan. New York: F.W. Beers & Co. p. 8.