Clear Lake, Texas
Clear Lake, Texas
|Town of Clear Lake||abt 1890|
|Elevation||530 ft (161.54 m)|
|• Total||est 50|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Area code(s)||214, 469, 972|
|GNIS feature ID||1378127|
Clear Lake is a populated place located in Collin County, Texas on the south end of the Lavon Lake Peninsula. By land it is south of Princeton and over water northwest of Lavon, southwest of Copeville, and north of Wylie.
In 1910 the population of Clear Lake was estimated at seventy-five and by 1914 had grown to 100. Despite the construction of the Lavon Reservoir in 1954, the estimated number of residents at the community remained at fifty for the period from the 1930s to 1990.
The United States government in 1884 built and operated a distillery on the banks of nearby Clear Lake. A small number of settlers were attracted to the area by the federal project, after which the town of Clear Lake was established in 1890. In 1898 a post office was established but it was discontinued sometime after 1930. The postmaster was Robert L. Palmer. The community was a principal provider of bois d'arc timber for Dallas for several years at the beginning of its existence. Dallas was experimenting with the use of wood to pave its streets but after the project was abandoned many residents left Clear Lake. The community was also on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. The land surrounding Clear Lake was subject to seasonal flooding, which destroyed crops even though it was located in the heart of the Blackland Prairie
- Courier - Gazette, early 1940 Clear Lake
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Clear Lake, Texas". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved 21 Mar 2013.
- "Ticky Creek". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved 22 Mar 2013.
- "Pilot Grove Creek". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved 22 Mar 2013.