Clearfield (UTA station)
|Utah Transit Authority (UTA)
FrontRunner commuter rail station
|Location||1250 South State Street
Utah Transit Authority (UTA):
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections||UTA inter-county and local bus|
|Opened||26 April 2008|
Clearfield is a commuter rail station in Clearfield, Utah, United States served by the FrontRunner, Utah Transit Authority's (UTA) commuter rail train that operates along the Wasatch Front with service from Pleasant View in northern Weber County through Ogden, Davis County, Salt Lake City, and Salt Lake County to Provo in central Utah County.
The station is located at 1250 South State Street (SR-126) on approximately 73 acres of land and has easy access from I-15 by either 700 South (SR-193) or West Antelope Drive (SR-108). It is located between the Freeport Center and I-15 and south-west of Hill Air Force Base, 2.75 miles (4.43 km) west of the South Gate. It was anticipated to provide commuter service to the approximately 22,600 employees at Hill Air Force Base and the approximately 8,500 employees at the Freeport Center. The station is also within walking distance of the Clearfield City offices, North Davis Junior High School, and Clearfield High School.
The station has a free Park and Ride lot with about 560 parking spaces available.[Note 1] The station is located within the Quiet Zone, so trains do not routinely sound their horns when approaching public crossings within this corridor. The inaugural FrontRunner train departed the station southbound at 9:00 am 26 April 2008. The Station is operated by Utah Transit Authority.
All of UTA's TRAX and FrontRunner trains and stations, as well as all fixed route buses, are compliant with Americans with Disabilities Act and are therefore accessible to those with disabilities. Since not all FrontRunner passenger cars are wheelchair accessible, signage at the stations, on the passenger platforms, and on the passenger cars clearly indicate accessibility options. In addition, each train has one or more Train Hosts available to provide assistance as may be needed, including the placement of ramps for wheelchair boarding. In accordance with the Utah Clean Air Act and UTA ordinance, "smoking is prohibited on UTA vehicles as well as UTA bus stops, TRAX stations, and FrontRunner stations".
On weekdays the FrontRunner has about twenty-three round trips between Ogden and Provo (through Salt Lake City) and about five more round trips between Ogden and Downtown Salt Lake City. On Saturdays there are only nineteen round trips between Ogden and Provo. Trains run hourly from about 4:30 am to just after midnight on weekdays (with additional half hour runs for the morning and evening commutes). Saturdays have hourly runs from about 6:00 am to 2:30 am Sunday morning. As of August 2013 the FrontRunner does not run on Sundays or holidays. Each weekday, service is extended to Pleasant View Station with two trains picking up (no dropping off) passengers early in the morning and two more trains picking up and dropping off passengers in the evening.
On weekdays the first northbound FrontRunner train (to the Ogden Intermodal Transit Center) leaves the Clearfield Station at about 5:15 am and the first southbound train (to the Provo Station) leaves at about 5:30 am. The last northbound train leaves at 12:20 am (early the next morning) and the last southbound train leaves at 11:26 pm. However, the last southbound train only goes as far south as the Salt Lake Central Station; the last train to the Provo Station leaves at 10:56 pm. The first, last, and only trains that go as far north as the Pleasant View Station leave at 6:09 pm and 7:09 pm.[Note 2]
On Saturdays the first northbound train leaves at about 7:30 am and the first southbound train leaves at about 8:30 am. The last northbound train leaves at 12:39 am (early Sunday morning) and the last southbound train leaves at 1:26 am (early Sunday morning). However, the last southbound train only goes as far south as the Salt Lake Central Station; the last train to the Provo Station leaves at 11:26 pm.[Note 2]
Bus routes are current as of Change Day, 8 December 2013.
- UTA Route 470 - Ogden-Salt Lake Intercity' (Ogden, including Ogden Intermodal Transit Center and Newgate Mall - Riverdale - Roy - Sunset - Clearfield - Layton - Kaysville - Farmington, including Lagoon [seasonal] - Centerville - Bountiful - North Salt Lake - Downtown Salt Lake City)
- UTA Route 640 - Layton Hill Mall/Weber State University (Ogden, including Weber State University and Newgate Mall - Riverdale - Roy - Clinton - Clearfield, including Freeport Center - Layton, including Davis Hospital, Weber State University Davis Campus, and Layton Hills Mall)
- Recently UTA announced that beginning 1 July 2013 it will start a one year pilot program involving most of its TRAX and FrontRunner Park and Ride lots. The purpose of the new program is to make rider connections with the Salt Lake City International Airport more convenient by avoiding the need to park at the airport. The programs allows UTA patrons to park for an "unlimited amount of time" in the designated Park and Ride lots. In addition, UTA will allow free parking in all of its parking garages. Previous UTA policy limited parking to no more than 24 hours, except at its parking garages. As part of the year-long pilot program, "UTA will measure parking lot usage and monitor costs, maintenance requirements, impacts to snow removal and security issues before determining if the program will be extended." There are eight Park and Ride lots that are excluded from this test program and the 24-hour time limit will still apply to these lots. Clearfield Station's lot is specifically included in this test program. Notwithstanding permission to park for extended periods in the applicable Park and Ride Lots, updated signage at the stations advises that the UTA Transit Police request that they be notified anytime a car is parked in one of the lots for more than seven days.
- Train schedule is current as of Change Day, 8 December 2013
- TRAX & FrontRunner Map (PDF) (Map). Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 25 Nov 2012.
- "FrontRunner Park and Ride Lots". Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 25 Nov 2012.
- Raymond, Arthur (28 Apr 2008). "UTA FrontRunner up and running today". Deseret News. Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media. Retrieved 25 Nov 2012.
- "Clearfiield Station Quick Facts" (pdf). UTA. Retrieved 25 Nov 2012.
- 1250 State Street Clearfield, UT (Map). Cartography by Tele Atlas. Google Maps. Retrieved 25 Nov 2012.
- "Commuter rail to roll by '07". Deseret News. Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media. Retrieved 25 Nov 2012.
- "UTA Offers Free Multi-Day Parking". Utah Transit Authority. 26 Jun 2013. Retrieved 19 Jul 2013.
- "Front Runner South FAQs" (Web). Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 19 Nov 2012.
- "Fixed Route Accessibility". Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 13 Mar 2013.
- "Riders with Disabilities". Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 17 Mar 2013.
- "Rider Rules". Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 12 Mar 2013.
- "FrontRunner" (PDF). Utah Transit Authority. 8 Aug 2013. Retrieved 13 Dec 2013.