This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Clearlake at The 100 Club, London, UK
|Past members||James Butcher|
The band formed in 1999, and released their debut single, "Winterlight", in January 2000. The limited edition release was awarded Single of the Week in a number of music publications, gained airplay on Radio 1 as Mark and Lard's record of the week and sold out within a fortnight, making the UK Top 100. A number of other singles followed, and the band went on to support Pulp and The Delgados and played at Scott Walker's Meltdown with Elliott Smith.
By April 2001, they had recorded and released their debut album, Lido. After a slot on Later... with Jools Holland, their television debut, and the release of a fourth single, "Let Go", the band started work on their second album. Cedars was released in February 2003. The third, Amber, was released in January 2006.
Clearlake have written their fourth album and played their only show of 2007 at The Brunswick, Hove, on 1 September 2007. Seven new songs were debuted at the show. 2008 was a far more active year for Clearlake. On 6 May 2008 the band supported Death Cab for Cutie (their first show of that year) before recording new track "One of a Kind", which was released as a web-only single on 9 May via their website. A further single, "Dark Blue", was recorded in the same way in August 2008 and released on 1 September 2008. The band have started 2009 by releasing one final single from the new album, "The Credit or The Blame". The album from which those singles were supposed to be taken has yet to be released.
In December 2010, a Jason Pegg cover version of the Sea Nymphs song "Tree Tops High" appeared on Leader of the Starry Skies - A Loyal Companion, a fundraising compilation album to benefit the hospitalised Cardiacs/Sea Nymphs leader Tim Smith.
While the band is on unofficial hiatus, Jason Pegg has been playing solo and with Billy Bragg. Pegg's self-titled debut album came out in 2009, and Silver Noise was released as a download-only album in 2014. Jim Briffett had performed with The Miserable Rich and his solo album Mountains 'n' Lightning was released in 2011.
- Jason Pegg (vocals, guitar, keyboards)
- David 'Woody' Woodward (bass, guitar, vocals)
- Toby May (drums)
- Jim Briffett (guitar, vocals) - since 2007
- James Butcher (drums)
- Sam Hewitt (keyboards, guitar, vocals)
Singles and EPs
- "Winterlight" (7 February 2000)
- "Don't Let the Cold In" (22 May 2000)
- "Something to Look Forward To" (16 October 2000)
- "Let Go" (28 May 2001)
- "Almost the Same" (24 February 2003)
- "The Mind Is Evil" (23 June 2003)
- "Can't Feel a Thing" (10 November 2003)
- Wonder if the Snow Will Settle (7 March 2005)
- "Good Clean Fun" (5 December 2005)
- "Neon" (27 March 2006)
- "It's Getting Light Outside" (7 August 2006)
- "One of a Kind" (9 May 2008)
- "Dark Blue" (1 September 2008)
- "The Credit or The Blame" (20 February 2009)