This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2021)
|Type of business||Online travel agency|
Type of site
|Owner||Flipkart (100%) (15 April 2021)|
Cleartrip (previously known as Cleartrip Travel Services Private Limited) is a global online travel company, headquartered in Mumbai and Dubai. The company operates an online travel aggregator website for booking flights and train tickets, hotel reservations, and activities in India and the Middle East countries. It has offices across India, UAE, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.
Cleartrip was founded in 2006 as a hotels and air aggregator by Hrush Bhatt, Matthew Spacie and Stuart Crighton. Seeing the fragmentation that existed in the Indian travel and hospitality sector, the founders decided to enter the online travel space.
Cleartrip also operates Cleartrip for Business, an online corporate travel management tool; Agent Box, a travel tool for travel agents; and Cleartrip Mobile, a travel booking app for mobile devices. In 2012, it added new services such as Quickeys, for last-minute deals on hotel booking and other journey planning services. In April 2012, Cleartrip launched iOS app with a split-screen search feature to enable round-trip search results. Its app also came with geo-location feature to choose the airport for departure from the current location. The search platform of the app also allows to swap the from and to cities with a tap. The app is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad.
In January 2013, Cleartrip brought air, rail and bus tickets to Apple's Passbook. The same year the company undertook a massive UI redesign project, Tuxedo where every field in the website was thought through in terms of placement, display, action.
In 2015, Cleartrip became the first Indian online travel agency to feature on Apple Watch and by the end of 2015, its app traffic had overtaken web traffic and accounted for 59 per cent of its total traffic. By May 2016 nearly 75% of Cleartrip's traffic was coming via mobile.
In April 2018, Cleartrip launched an Arabic version of its website to target the growing Arabic community in the GCC region.
In 2018, Cleartrip was named as one among the only two companies that followed the GDPR and allowed users to delete personal information associated with their accounts.
The company got into strategic partnerships expanding the footprint of its integrated travel services in 48 European and 18 Southeast Asian countries. In 2017, Google announced partnership with Cleartrip for its flight search application, Google Flights. In June 2018, Cleartrip announced its partnership with Kerala Tourism Development Corporation to become an online seller of KTDC's exclusive set of activities. In November 2019, Cleartrip entered into a partnership with PAYBACK India to offer loyalty program. In 2019, Amazon partnered with Cleartrip in its first-ever global foray into flight bookings space.
In 2021, after a financially stressful COVID-19 pandemic for the business and having laid off 500 employees, Cleartrip entered acquisition talks with Flipkart in a distress sale for $40 million.
In May 2010, Cleartrip launched its first overseas venture in the UAE. In May 2012, it started services to the Persian Gulf nations of Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Saudi Arabia. On June 21, 2018, Cleartrip announced the acquisition of Saudi Arabia-based online travel aggregator Flyin.
- "Cleartrip acquires Saudi Arabia's online travel firm Flyin". Arab News. 21 June 2018.
- "Cleartrip offers cab booking services". The Hindu. 3 September 2012.
- "Crystal clear: Using design as a differentiator in a crowded market". NDTV. 10 March 2014.
- "Cleartrip targets 2000 corporates"
- "Cleartrip registered more than 3000 agents in India"
- "Cleartrip launches mobile travel solution"
- Rai, Aman. "Cleartrip Launches Last Minute Hotel Booking Service, Quickeys". medianama.com.
- "Cleartrip Launches Last Minute Hotel Booking Service, Quickeys". MediaNama.
- "Cleartrip launches Waytogo, a Very Cool Multi-Mode Route Finding and Booking Tool". nextbigwhat.com. NextBigWhat.
- Rai, Anand. "Cleartrip expands its hotels product with the launch of Weekend Getaways service, what's on offer?". techcircle.vccircle.com.
- "Cleartrip launches visually-appealing travel guides, Collections". NDTV.
- "Cleartrip launches iOS app with split-screen search feature". Digit (magazine).
- "Cleartrip allows paperless boarding pass on iOS and third-party Android apps via Passbook". Techcircle. 11 January 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Cleartrip becomes first Indian online travel agency to feature on Apple Watch". Business Line. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Cleartrip revamps Flight and Hotel search". NDTV Gadgets 360. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Cleartrip hires Indroneel Dutt and Ankit Rastogi as CFO and VP". Daily News and Analysis. 7 July 2017. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Still confused about the weekend? Try these 5 apps to enjoy local experiences". www.aninews.in. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Mohapatra, Sadananda (26 December 2015). "Cleartrip says mobile app traffic overtakes website". Business Standard India. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Nearly 75% of Cleartrip's traffic in Q4FY15 came via mobile". MediaNama. 10 May 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Kar, Sanghamitra (23 June 2017). "Cleartrip now speaks Arabic". The Economic Times.
- Sathe, Gopal (17 April 2018). "Cleartrip on Alexa Integration, Building Apps for Voice, and the Smart Speakers Scene in India". NDTV.
- "Cleartrip enables Alexa users to voice search air travel options". Hindustan Times. 17 April 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Mathew, James (27 January 2019). "India-based Cleartrip to ramp up Mideast operations". Arabian Business.
- Mathew, James (22 June 2018). "Cleartrip Acquires Saudi Arabia-Based Flyin To Venture Into MENA Region". INC42.
- "Most Indian Companies Don't Let You Delete Your Account. And They Won't Say Why". HuffPost India. 13 June 2018.
- Chaturvedi, Anumeha (8 May 2018). "Cleartrip launches end-to-end experiential travel in Europe, South East Asia". The Economic Times.
- "Google Flights ties up with ClearTrip in India expansion bid". The Economic Times. 18 September 2017.
- Kar, Sanghamitra (7 June 2018). "Cleartrip Tied Up With KTDC". BusinessWorld.
- Himatsingka, Anuradha (27 November 2019). "Cleartrip enters into a partnership with PAYBACK India to offer special loyalty program". The Economic Times. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Amazon Launches Flight Bookings in India in a Superapp Strategy". Skift. 16 May 2019.
- "Flipkart set to acquire Cleartrip for $40 million". CNBC TV18. 14 April 2021. Archived from the original on 14 April 2021.
- Sarkar, John (14 April 2021). "Flipkart set to acquire Cleartrip in distress sale". Times of India. Archived from the original on 14 April 2021.
- "Cleartrip launches UAE operations" Economic Times 2010-05-06
- Fernz, Charmaine. "Cleartrip to invest and expand localized operations in the GCC". Travel Daily Media.
- "Cleartrip & Flyin join forces". Flyin. Retrieved 21 June 2018.