|Type of business||Online travel agency|
Type of site
|Key people||Stuart Crighton|
(Founder & CEO)
Weekend Getaways & Activities
|Services||Flight Ticket Booking, Hotels Booking|
Cleartrip (previously known as Cleartrip Travel Services Private Limited) is a global online travel company, headquartered in Mumbai and Dubai. The company operates an online travel aggregator website for booking flights and train tickets, hotel reservations, and activities in India and the Middle East countries. It has offices across India, UAE, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.
Cleartrip was founded in 2006 as a hotels and air aggregator by Hrush Bhatt, Matthew Spacie and Stuart Crighton. Seeing the fragmentation that existed in the Indian travel and hospitality sector, the founders decided to enter the online travel space with a vision of making travel simple.
Cleartrip also operates Cleartrip for Business, an online corporate travel management tool; Agent Box, a travel tool for travel agents; and Cleartrip Mobile, a travel booking app for mobile devices. In 2012, it added new services such as Quickeys, for last-minute deals on hotel booking and other journey planning services. In April 2012, Cleartrip launched iOS app with a split-screen search feature to enable round-trip search results. Its app also came with geo-location feature to choose the airport for departure from the current location. The search platform of the app also allows to swap the from and to cities with a tap. The app is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad.
In January 2013, Cleartrip brought air, rail and bus tickets to Apple's Passbook. The same year the company undertook a massive UI redesign project, Tuxedo where every field in the website was thought through in terms of placement, display, action.
In 2015, Cleartrip became the first Indian online travel agency to feature on Apple Watch and by the end of 2015, its app traffic had overtaken web traffic and accounted for 59 per cent of its total traffic. By May 2016 nearly 75% of Cleartrip’s traffic was coming via mobile.
In April 2018, Cleartrip launched an Arabic version of its website to target the growing Arabic community in the GCC region.
With gross booking value of $1.4 billion and revenues worth of $110 million, Cleartrip is one of the few companies of scale in this space. It is seeing annual growth of over 40% in MENA, driven by the increasing shift from offline to online.
In 2018, Cleartrip was named as one among the only two companies that followed the GDPR and allowed users to delete personal information associated with their accounts.
The company got into strategic partnerships expanding the footprint of its integrated travel services in 48 European and 18 Southeast Asian countries. In 2017, Google announced partnership with Cleartrip for its flight search application, Google Flights. In June 2018, Cleartrip announced its partnership with Kerala Tourism Development Corporation to become an online seller of KTDC’s exclusive set of activities. In November 2019, Cleartrip entered into a partnership with PAYBACK India to offer loyalty program. In 2019, Amazon partnered with Cleartrip in its first-ever global foray into flight bookings space.
Products and Features
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mobile app - Cleartrip Mobile is a travel booking app for mobile devices.
Express way - While the online payments ecosystem was still in its nascent stage in March 2012, the company launched Expressway to let users store traveller profile and payment details securely to make one click bookings.
Quickeys - Quickeys was launched in 2012 for last-minute deals on hotel booking and other journey planning services.
In-app flight amendments - In April 2013, Cleartrip launched In-app flight amendments to enable its users to modify or amend flight bookings entirely on the web.
Waytogo - In July 2013, Cleartrip launched Waytogo a trip planning tool to help users search for various route and mode of travel options. The product also displayed layovers at transit, travel duration and distance, point to point pricing, links to more information for a particular route.
Passbook Support - In January 2013 Cleartrip announced support for Passbook for its iOS users. The passes display important information about the trip upfront, with additional details on the reverse side. With location and time-based Passbook notifications, the passes automatically pop-up on the smartphone’s screen, ready for use just when they’re needed. 
Pricewatch - Pricewatch enables automatic refunds when a purchased airfare drops below the booked price.
Multi-city flight bookings - In April 2016, Cleartrip launched multi-city flight bookings on mobile allowing consumers to book up to four flights in the same booking. Later, Cleartrip redesigned its multi-city search to deliver optimal price with a highly comprehensive flight content and improved product logic.
Price Lock - In October 2016 Cleartrip enabled its users to lock prices for flight bookings through its feature PriceLock.
Instant Search - In June 2017, Cleartrip launched Insta Search aiming to reduce the time taken to search and book hotel rooms on the Cleartrip mobile app.
Shortlists - In 2019, Cleatrip introduced a new feature, Shortlists, which helps users in their international flight booking research.
Tagging - Tag-based recommendations that allow users to find convenient hotels while booking.
Fare alerts - Fare alerts informs its users a day or hours before an airline drops or increases its prices.
Agent Box - Agent Box is a travel tool for travel agents.
Flexifly - In August 2019, Cleartrip launched Flexifly - a solution that enables flyers to change their travel date and time and switch flights between airlines without any hefty penalties. It is created for corporate and frequent travellers who often tend to reschedule their flights.
In May 2010, Cleartrip launched its first overseas venture in the UAE. In May 2012, it started services to the Persian Gulf nations of Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Saudi Arabia. On June 21, 2018, Cleartrip announced the acquisition of Saudi Arabia-based online travel aggregator (OTA) Flyin. With the acquisition of Flyin in June 2018 Cleartrip added Saudi Arabia and Egypt to that list of countries it operates in, providing Clear trip with a major footprint and customer base across the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
The deal is expected to offer Cleartrip a wider outreach and a larger client base in an adjacent market.
Amid a raging debate on ensuring equal Internet access for all, Cleartrip pulled out from Internet.org supporting net neutrality.
Awards and Recognition
|Year||Name of the Award||Awarded By||Ref(s)|
|2018||‘Excellence in Travel Blogging – Company Operated Blog||SATTE Awards|||
|2017||CX Visionary||Genesys Awards|||
|2017||Best Mobile App for Travel||Mobexx Awards|||
|2016||Best in Mobile||WITovation Awards|||
|2014||Editor's Pick||Apple App Store|||
|2013||Product of the Year - Travel Category||Nielsen survey|||
|2013||Best App - Travel & Hospitality||The Mobies, UAE|||
|2011||Mobile Mover of the Year||WITovation Awards, Singapore|||
|2010||India's Favourite Travel Website||Readers’ India Travel Awards - Condé Nast Travel Awards|||
|2010||Top eCommerce Websites in India||The Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI)|||
|2010||Most Innovative Companies in Asia||Red Herring Top 100 Asia|||
|2008||Google of Travel Sites||PC World Web Awards|||
|2007||Excellence in Open Source Technologies Implementation||Skoch Consultancy Services and Red Hat|||
|2006||India's Best Travel Website||PC World's Best Indian Websites Awards|||
- "Cleartrip acquires Saudi Arabia's online travel firm Flyin". Arab News. 21 June 2018.
- "Cleartrip acquires Saudi Arabia's online travel firm Flyin". Arab News. 21 June 2018.
- "Cleartrip offers cab booking services". The Hindu. 3 September 2012.
- "Crystal clear: Using design as a differentiator in a crowded market". NDTV. 10 March 2014.
- "Cleartrip targets 2000 corporates"
- "Cleartrip registered more than 3000 agents in India"
- "Cleartrip launches mobile travel solution"
- Rai, Aman. "Cleartrip Launches Last Minute Hotel Booking Service, Quickeys". medianama.com.
- "Cleartrip Launches Last Minute Hotel Booking Service, Quickeys". MediaNama.
- "Cleartrip launches Waytogo, a Very Cool Multi-Mode Route Finding and Booking Tool". nextbigwhat.com. NextBigWhat.
- Rai, Anand. "Cleartrip expands its hotels product with the launch of Weekend Getaways service, what's on offer?". techcircle.vccircle.com.
- "Cleartrip launches visually-appealing travel guides, Collections". NDTV.
- "Cleartrip launches iOS app with split-screen search feature". Digit (magazine).
- "Cleartrip allows paperless boarding pass on iOS and third-party Android apps via Passbook". Techcircle. 11 January 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Cleartrip becomes first Indian online travel agency to feature on Apple Watch". Business Line. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Cleartrip revamps Flight and Hotel search". NDTV Gadgets 360. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Cleartrip hires Indroneel Dutt and Ankit Rastogi as CFO and VP". Daily News and Analysis. 7 July 2017. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Still confused about the weekend? Try these 5 apps to enjoy local experiences". www.aninews.in. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Bureau, Our. "Cleartrip becomes first Indian online travel agency to feature on Apple Watch". Business Line. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Mohapatra, Sadananda (26 December 2015). "Cleartrip says mobile app traffic overtakes website". Business Standard India. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Nearly 75% of Cleartrip's traffic in Q4FY15 came via mobile". MediaNama. 10 May 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Kar, Sanghamitra (23 June 2017). "Cleartrip now speaks Arabic". The Economic Times.
- Sathe, Gopal (17 April 2018). "Cleartrip on Alexa Integration, Building Apps for Voice, and the Smart Speakers Scene in India". NDTV.
- "Cleartrip enables Alexa users to voice search air travel options". Hindustan Times. 17 April 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Mathew, James (27 January 2019). "India-based Cleartrip to ramp up Mideast operations". Arabian Business.
- Mathew, James (22 June 2018). "Cleartrip Acquires Saudi Arabia-Based Flyin To Venture Into MENA Region". INC42.
- "Most Indian Companies Don't Let You Delete Your Account. And They Won't Say Why". HuffPost India. 13 June 2018.
- Chaturvedi, Anumeha (8 May 2018). "Cleartrip launches end-to-end experiential travel in Europe, South East Asia". The Economic Times.
- "Google Flights ties up with ClearTrip in India expansion bid". The Economic Times. 18 September 2017.
- Kar, Sanghamitra (7 June 2018). "Cleartrip Tied Up With KTDC". BusinessWorld.
- Himatsingka, Anuradha (27 November 2019). "Cleartrip enters into a partnership with PAYBACK India to offer special loyalty program". The Economic Times. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Amazon Launches Flight Bookings in India in a Superapp Strategy". Skift. 16 May 2019.
- Shukla, Tarun (10 March 2014). "Mobile apps drive flight bookings as smartphones proliferate". Mint (newspaper). Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Rai, Anand (28 March 2013). "Cleartrip claims gross revenues of around Rs 300Cr a month, eyes break-even by Q3 2013". VCCircle.
- "Presenting In-app changes on Cleartrip Mobile". APN News. 5 December 2014.
- "Cleartrip launches Waytogo route finder that combines planes, trains, buses and ferries". NDTV Gadgets 360. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Cleartrip introduces 'money back policy' for international airfare revision, but there is a catch". Techcircle. 13 February 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- www.ETtech.com. "Cleartrip launches multi-city flight bookings on mobile - ETtech". ETtech.com. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Johari, Sneha (6 October 2016). "Cleartrip lets users lock prices for flight bookings". MediaNama.
- PTI. "Cleartrip partners with Uber API to offer local activities". Business Line. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Cleartrip goes 'Local' with experiential services". The Hindu. 21 June 2016.
- "Cleartrip Announces Launch of Cleartrip Instant Search'". BusinessWorld. 16 June 2017.
- ANI (16 May 2019). "Cleartrip enhances 'Multi-city' search". Business Standard India. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- www.ETtech.com. "Cleartrip goes Arabic in Middle East, bets on personalization for India growth - ETtech". ETtech.com. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Cleartrip's new solution to help customers get special fares". The Economic Times. 16 October 2019. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Cleartrip's Flexifly Allows Flyers to Reschedule Flights Without Hefty Fines". NDTV Gadgets 360. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Cleartrip launches UAE operations" Economic Times 2010-05-06
- Fernz, Charmaine. "Cleartrip to invest and expand localized operations in the GCC". Travel Daily Media.
- "Cleartrip & Flyin join forces". Flyin. Retrieved 21 June 2018.
- "Cleartrip announces acquisition of Saudi Arabia-based OTA Flyin". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 21 June 2018.
- Excellence in Travel Blogging – Company Operated Blog by SATTE Awards
- CX Visionary by Genesys
- Editor's Pick App Store by Apple App Store Archived 2015-10-03 at the Wayback Machine
- Editor's Pick App Store by Apple App Store Archived 3 October 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- Product of the Year - Travel Category by Neilson Survey
- "Best App for Travel and Hospitality at the Mobies 2013, UAE" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 October 2015. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- Mobile Mover of the Year at WITovation Awards, Singapore Archived 30 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- India's Favourite Travel Website by Reader's india Travel Awards
- Top eCommerce Websites in India by The Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI)
- Most Innovative Companies in Asia by Red Herring Top 100 Asia
- Google Travel Sites at PC World Web Awards 2008
- "Excellence in Open Source Technologies Implementation by Skoch Consultancy Services and Red Hat" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 October 2015. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "India's Best Travel Website at PC World's Best Website Awards" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 October 2015. Retrieved 29 September 2015.