Clearview Regional High School
|Clearview Regional High School|
|625 Breakneck Road
Mullica Hill, NJ 08062
|Type||Public high school|
|Asst. principals||Michael Holm
|Enrollment||1,632 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.0:1|
Forest green and|
|Athletics conference||Tri-County Conference|
Clearview Regional High School is a regional public high school serving students in ninth through twelfth grades from Harrison Township and Mantua Township, two communities in Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Clearview Regional High School District.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,632 students and 109.1 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 15.0:1. There were 163 students (10.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 40 (2.5% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 109th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 144th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 142nd in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 130th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 141st in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 106th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 8 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (85.2%) and language arts literacy (97.5%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The school has articulation agreement with Rowan College at Gloucester County under which students can earn credit at both the high school and college level for 15 courses offered by Clearview, such as AP Government and AP Calculus.
Clearview's math classes include:
- Math Lab
- Algebra I
- Algebra II
Clearview's English department offers:
- English I-IV
- Shakespearean Readings/English IV
- Poetry Workshop
- Humanitarian Studies
- AP Language & Composition
- AP Literature & Composition
- Physical Science
- Anatomy & Physiology (I & II)
- Environmental Science
- World History
- US History I & II
- AP History
- European History
- Western Civilization
- AP Government & Politics
All courses are meant to fulfill New Jersey's Common Core Standards.
The Clearview Regional High School Pioneers compete in the Tri-County Conference, which is composed of schools whose enrollments vary greatly for grades 9-12 and operates under the auspices of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. With 1,225 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as South Jersey, Group IV for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 1,082 to 1,934 students in that grade range.
The girls' softball team won the 2002 South, Group III sectional championship with a 5-3 win over Toms River High School South in the tournament final. The team repeated the title in 2003, edging Cumberland Regional High School 4-3.
Kingsway Regional High School is their athletic rival, competing against each other on Thanksgiving Day for the Coaches Trophy. The two teams annually play on Thanksgiving for the Coaches Trophy.
The boys track team was state Group I-II indoor relay co-champion in 1966.
Clearview participates in the South Jersey High School Ice Hockey League, a high school ice hockey league with 20 teams participating at the varsity level from South Jersey. The girls' soccer team were Co-Champions in the Tri-County Conference in 2004 and were champions in the 2008 and 2009 season. The girls also made appearances in the finals of the South Jersey state playoffs in 2005 and 2008. Golf is also a well known sport at Clearview, winning the Tri-County Conference in 2008 and 2009. The football team went undefeated in the regular season in 2006. The girls' varsity swim team won Tri-County Conference Championship titles in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010.
The Clearview Regional Marching Band was Tournament of the Bands Chapter One Champions in 1975, 1993-1994 (Group 2) and 1995-1997 (Group 3). The Clearview Band was recognized as the Atlantic Coast Champion in Group 3 in 1995. The 2008 show was entitled "Shapes". The Clearview Regional Marching Band was crowned the 2008 USSBA New Jersey State champions (group II) on October 26, 2008 in Union, NJ. The competition was originally scheduled to be held on the 25th at Giants Stadium, but was rained out and rescheduled to the following day at Union High School.
In November, 2008 the Clearview Regional Marching Band took 2nd place for Group II at the USSBA National Championships held at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. The Percussion Section also received the award for "Best Percussion Award" in Group II.
The 2009 show was entitled "Tragic Kingdom: The Rise and Fall of Babylon 2009", and was written by the Marching Band Director, Calvin Spencer. The Percussion was written by former Assistant Director, Ron Latham. The Clearview Regional Marching Band finished 2nd in Group I at the USSBA New Jersey state championships. The band placed 3rd at the Northern States Championships and placed 4th at the USSBA National Championships. The Percussion Section received the "Best Percussion Award" for Group I. This was the second straight year that the Clearview Percussion Section won this award.
The 2014 show was entitled "Goddess of Fire". The band placed 2nd in the Tournament of Bands (ToB) New Jersey state championships, and also placed 1st in the ToB Chapter One South Jersey Championship. The band also placed 2nd in the ToB Atlantic Coast Championships in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Keith Brook - Principal
- Michael Holm - Assistant Principal
- Thomas Jones - Assistant Principal
- Dawn Scalfaro - Assistant Principal
The school district's board of education is composed of nine individuals. Five are from Mantua and four are from Harrison.
- Michele Giaquinto, President, Mantua
- Ron Moore, Vice President, Harrison
- David Burgin, Mantua
- Jeff Chierici, Mantua
- Sherry Dvorak, Harrison
- Gregory Fuller, Harrison
- Debbie Lundberg, Mantua
- Karen Vick, Mantua
- Paul Ware, Harrison
- School data for Clearview Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Clearview Regional High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- Clearview Regional High School District 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 26, 2016. "The Clearview Regional High School District serves the townships of Harrison and Mantua. The district is comprised of a Middle School (7-8) and High School (9-12), serving approximately 2,500 students."
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 24, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 1, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 4, 2012.
- Clearview Program of Studies, Clearview Regional High School. Accessed February 24, 2014.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- 2002 Softball Tournament - South, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 14, 2007.
- 2003 Softball Tournament - South, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 14, 2007.
- Staff. "Carpenter happy with his showing in county tourney", Gloucester County Times, April 21, 2009. Accessed July 20, 2011. "'I felt a lot of pressure on me,' Carpenter said. 'Kingsway and Clearview have a rivalry and those are two great kids I played, and happily I was able to defeat them.'"
- Chappelear, Scott. "Trophies add flavor to rivalries", The News of Cumberland County, November 26, 2009. Accessed July 20, 2011. "We have some great rivalries in our area, many played on Thanksgiving, but so few have trophies associated with them. Kingsway and Clearview battle for the Coaches Trophy - an appropriate award with Tony Barchuk and Dan Pidcock in charge - and Pennsville will take on Penns Grove in the 'Battle for the Norm Willey Boot' (Willey was a former Philadelphia Eagle who taught at Pennsville after retiring)."
- History of the NJSIAA Indoor Relay Championship, NJSIAA. Accessed December 13, 2016.
- Tournament of Bands - Chapter One History, Tournament of Bands. Accessed July 5, 2007.
- USSBA NJ state championships, USSBA accessed November 16, 2008.
- Administration, Clearview Regional High School District. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- Board of Education, Clearview Regional High School District. Accessed March 8, 2017.
- Clearview Regional High School
- Clearview Regional High School District
- Clearview Regional High School Marching Band
- Clearview Regional High School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for Clearview Regional High School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Clearview Regional HS