Clevedon, New Zealand
All Souls Church
|Website||Clevedon town website|
Clevedon, previously known as Wairoa South, is a rural town in Auckland, New Zealand, located in the Franklin ward, one of the thirteen administrative divisions of Auckland city. The town is governed by the Auckland Council. The town and surrounding rural area had a population of 2,583 in the 2013 New Zealand census, an increase of 135 from 2006, and is the centre of an administrative ward of Franklin which takes in much of the largely rural area to the east of the urban heart of the city.
Clevedon is located on the Wairoa River five kilometres from its estuary and outflow into the Tamaki Strait, an arm of the Hauraki Gulf. It is 14 kilometres from the centre of the suburb of Manukau, which lies to the northwest. To the south of Clevedon rise the rugged hills of the Hunua Ranges. Several popular beaches are located on the coast close to Clevedon, including Duder's Beach and Kawakawa Bay. Between these two beaches lies the Duder Regional Park.
History and culture
Clevedon and surrounding area is traditionally the territory of the Ngāi Tai or Ngāi Tai ki Tāmaki people, who are descendants of the Tainui waka. They call the area Te Wairoa (the Long River). Ngāi Tai traversed their tribal domain, including the inner islands of the Hauraki Gulf, in a seasonal cycle of harvesting, gathering and fishing.
Ngā Tai maintained settlements in several places, including:
- Otau and Tuawa near present-day Clevedon, in Te Wairoa River valley
- At Tararua near the mouth of the Rautawhiti Stream, in Te Wairoa River valley
- At Takatekauere, Te Totara, Te Ruato and Pehuwai on the western side of Te Wairoa River
- Te Oue, Mawherawhera, Te Kuiti and Umupuia, on the Whakakaiwhara Peninsula
There were formerly many schools located in the Clevedon-Wairoa district.
The only remaining school is Clevedon School.
- Phil Goff, politician and Auckland mayor
- Reed, A. W. (2002). The Reed Dictionary of New Zealand Place Names. Auckland: Reed Books. ISBN 0-7900-0761-4..
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clevedon, New Zealand.|
|This Auckland Region-related geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|