|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Founded (as Minto Village)||1855|
|Named for||Clifford in West Yorkshire, England|
|Elevation||375 m (1,230 ft)|
|Time zone||Eastern Time Zone (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern Time Zone (UTC-4)|
|Postal codes in Canada||N0G 1M0|
|Area code(s)||519, 226, 548|
Clifford is an unincorporated community in the municipality of Minto in Wellington County in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. It is on Ontario Highway 9 and Coon Creek, a stream in the Saugeen River drainage basin.
The village of Clifford was founded around 1855 as Minto Village. After the opening of the post office in 1856, the settlement was renamed Clifford by the first postmaster Francis Brown after Clifford in West Yorkshire, England. Clifford was incorporated as a village in 1873. In 1999, Clifford was amalgamated with Palmerston, Harriston and Minto Township to create Minto.
The first telephones in the community were installed in 1890 by Bell Canada. Wightman Telecom, based in Clifford and owned by the Wightman family, has owned and operated a communication system in Clifford since 1908, with a telephone system that was originally operated out of a kitchen in Howick Township. Wightman bought out Bell's operations in Clifford, Ayton and Neustadt in 1928. The firm continues to operate the system as of March 2016[update].
- "Clifford". Geographical Names Data Base. Natural Resources Canada.
- Taken from Google Earth at geographic coordinates. Accessed 2016-03-17.
- Harrison, Clifford M (1978). "Two towns and a village". The Way It Was : A History of Minto Township. Township of Minto. p. 114–120. OCLC 63015327. Retrieved 2016-03-17. Also OCLC 22093320.
- "Who is Wightman Telecom?". Wightman Telecom. Retrieved 2016-03-17.
- "Environment Canada confirms tornado touched down near Clifford Ont.". 680 News. 2016-03-17. Retrieved 2016-03-17.
Other map sources:
- Map 4 (PDF) (Map). 1 : 700,000. Official road map of Ontario. Ministry of Transportation of Ontario. 2014. Retrieved 2016-03-17.
- Restructured municipalities - Ontario map #6 (Map). Restructuring Maps of Ontario. Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. 2006. Retrieved 2016-03-17.
- "Township of Minto" (JPG). Canadian County Atlas Project. McGill University. 2001. Retrieved 2016-03-17.
|Wingham||Mount Forest, Conn|
|This Southwestern Ontario geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|