|Date of birth:||February 16, 1965|
|Place of birth:||Tallahassee, Florida|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||240 lb (109 kg)|
|High school:||Tallahassee (FL) Leon|
|NFL Draft:||1988 / Round: 1 / Pick: 21|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Clifford Tyrone Charlton (born February 16, 1965) is an American former college and professional football player who was a linebacker in the National Football League (NFL) for two seasons during the late 1980s. Charlton played college football for the University of Florida, and received All-American honors. A first-round pick in the 1988 NFL Draft, he played professionally for the NFL's Cleveland Browns.
Charlton accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, and played linebacker for coach Galen Hall's Florida Gators football team from 1984 to 1987. He was a member of the Gators' best-in-the-Southeastern Conference (SEC) football teams that posted identical 9–1–1 overall win-loss records in 1984 and 1985. He was also a first-team All-SEC selection in 1986 and 1987, and a first-team All-American and team captain in 1987. Charlton's fifteen forced fumbles, forty-nine career tackles for a loss and twenty-five quarterback sacks still rank first, fifth and fourth, respectively, on the Gators' all-time career records lists.
Charlton graduated from the University of Florida with a bachelor's degree in psychology in 1988.
Charlton was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the first round of the 1988 NFL Draft with the 21st overall pick, and he played in thirty-one games for the Browns during the 1988 and 1989 seasons. As a first round pick, the Browns had high expectations for Charlton. However, he suffered a severe knee injury that tore the MCL and ACL ligaments of his knee and prematurely ended his professional career.
- 1987 College Football All-America Team
- Florida Gators football, 1980–89
- History of the Cleveland Browns
- List of Cleveland Browns first-round draft picks
- List of Florida Gators football All-Americans
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- List of University of Florida alumni
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Clifford Charlton. Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Clifford Charlton. Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide Archived April 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine., University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 88, 92, 96, 98, 124, 153–154, 180 (2011). Retrieved August 28, 2011.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1988 National Football League Draft. Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Clifford Charlton. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- Nash, Noel, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois (1998). ISBN 1-57167-196-X.