Clifford Lynch is the director of the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI), where he has been since 1997. He is also an adjunct professor at Berkeley's School of Information. Prior to joining CNI, Lynch spent 18 years at the University of California Office of the President, the last 10 as Director of Library Automation. He is both a past president and recipient of the 2008 Award of Merit of the American Society for Information (now ASIS&T), and a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the National Information Standards Organization. Lynch lectures extensively issues pertaining to digital libraries, information policy, and emerging interoperability standards.
In 2011 he was appointed co-chair of the National Academies Board on Research Data and Information (BRDI); His work has been recognized by the American Library Association's Lippincott Award, the EDUCAUSE Leadership Award in Public Policy and Practice, and the American Society for Engineering Education's Homer Bernhardt Award. He was elected as an ACM Fellow in 2017.
Lynch holds a B.A in Mathematics and Computer Science from Columbia College, a M.S. in Computer Science from the Columbia University School of Engineering, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science (1987) from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Clifford Lynch, Stewardship in the "Age of Algorithms", First Monday, Volume 22, Number 12 (4 December 2017).
- Clifford A. Lynch, "Big data: How do your data grow?" Nature, vol. 455, no. 7209 (September 3, 2008).
- Clifford A. Lynch, "Digital Libraries, Learning Communities, and Open Education," Opening Up Education: The Collective Advancement of Education through Open Technology, Open Content, and Open Knowledge, Toru Iiyoshi, M. S. Vijay Kumar (Eds.), (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2008).
- Clifford A. Lynch, "Imagining a University Press System to Support Scholarship in the Digital Age." Journal of Electronic Publishing. November 2012.
- Clifford A. Lynch and Joan K. Lippincott, "Institutional Repository Deployment in the United States as of Early 2005," D-Lib Magazine, 11:9 (September 2005).
- Clifford A. Lynch, "The Impact of Digital Scholarship on Research Libraries," The Journal of Library Administration 49:3 (April 2009), pp. 227–244.
- Clifford A. Lynch, "Open Computation: Beyond Human-Reader-Centric Views of Scholarly Literatures," Open Access: Key Strategic, Technical and Economic Aspects, Neil Jacobs (Ed.), (Oxford: Chandos Publishing, 2006), 185-193.
- Clifford A. Lynch, "Searching the Internet," Scientific American 276:3 (March 1997), pp. 52–56.
- "CNI Appoints Clifford Lynch as New Executive Director (Press Release)". May 1997.
- "UC Berkeley iSchool".
- "ASIS Awards".
- "National Academies Board on Research Data and Information".
- "EDUCAUSE Leadership Award in Public Policy and Practice".
- "American Society for Engineering Education Awards". Archived from the original on 2013-04-02.
- ACM Recognizes 2017 Fellows for Making Transformative Contributions and Advancing Technology in the Digital Age, Association for Computing Machinery, December 11, 2017, retrieved 2017-11-13