|Born||1971 (age 47–48)|
|Alma mater||School of the Art Institute of Chicago|
Mason Gross School of the Arts, Rutgers University
|Known for||Mixed media and performance art|
Clifford Owens is an African-American mixed media and performance artist, writer and curator. Owens was born in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1971 and spent his early life in Baltimore. Owens is known for his works which center on the body and often include interactions with the audience and spontaneity.
Clifford Owens attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, graduating in 1998. He received his MFA in 2000 from the Mason Gross School of the Arts, Rutgers University in 2000, and participated in the Whitney Independent Study Program in 2001.
Owens has taught at The Cooper Union, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and Mason Gross School of the Arts at Rutgers, as well as NYU, and was a Lecturer at the School of Art, Yale University in the fall, 2011.
At Owens' first solos show at the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, he presented, Photographs with an Audience, a piece about how the history of performance art is intertwined with the history of photography. In it, Owens asked questions of the audience and those that had answered the same would have their picture taken as a group.
In Owen's solo exhibition, Anthology at MoMA PS1, he performed instructional scores submitted by black artists that he had asked to participate. One score written by artist Kara Walker, was withdrawn by Walker while the exhibition was on view but was performed by Owens three times at MoMA PS1.
Clifford Owens’ art has appeared in numerous group and solo exhibitions. His solo exhibitions include, “Anthology: Clifford Owens” Museum of Modern Art PS1 (2011-2012) and “Perspectives 173: Clifford Owens” Contemporary Arts Museum Houston (2011); his group exhibitions include, “Radical Presence: Black Performance in Contemporary Art” Contemporary Arts Museum (2012), “Greater New York 2005” Museum of Modern Art PS1 (2005), “Freestyle” The Studio Museum in Harlem (2001), and the traveling exhibition “Performance Now” (2013–14).
- Better the Rebel You Know, Cornerhouse, Manchester, England. 2014.
- Anthology. MoMA PS1. November 13, 2011 – May 17, 2012.
- Perspectives 173: Clifford Owens. Contemporary Arts Museum Houston. 2011.
- Clifford Owens, On Stellar Rays Gallery, NY. 2008.
Selected group shows
- Radical Presence: Black Performance in Contemporary Art. (Traveling show) Contemporary Arts Museum Houston (2012), Grey Art Gallery (NYU), Studio Museum in Harlem, and the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN.
- "The Kiss" at Danspace Project, St. Marks Church. Legacy Russell and Clifford Owens. 2013.
- GNY: 5Year Review, MoMA PS1, Long Island City, NY. 2010.
- 100 Years, MoMA PS1, Long Island City, NY. 2010.
- Collected. Reflections on the Permanent Collection, The Studio Museum in Harlem, New York, NY. 2010.
- One Minute More, The Kitchen, New York, NY. 2009
- Distillation, Fylkingen, Stockholm, Sweden. 2003.
- Radical Presence New York. Artist Biography.
- "Interview with Clifford Owens." Archived 2014-07-25 at the Wayback Machine Spot. Fall 2011.
- "Clifford Owens by Nick Stillman." BOMB Magazine 117. Fall, 2011.
- Fisher, Cora. "Clifford Owens: Anthology." Brooklyn Rail. November, 2011.
- MoMA PS1 Exhibitions. "Anthology."
- Radical Presence exhibition website.
- "The Radical Boundaries of African American Performance." Hyperallergic. November 25, 2013.
- "Legacy Russell and Clifford Owens." New York Times. 2013.