Cliffwood, New Jersey
Cliffwood, New Jersey
Cliffwood as seen from Cliffwood Avenue (CR 6A)
|Elevation||62 ft (19 m)|
|GNIS feature ID||0875496|
Cliffwood is located southwest of Route 35 and is bounded by Matawan on the south and Old Bridge Township on the northwest. Matawan Creek borders Cliffwood to the southeast. River Gardens, a community along Matawan Creek, is served by Zip Code 07735.
Cliffwood, as a part of Aberdeen, is served by the Matawan-Aberdeen Regional School District. The MARSD Central Offices are located at 1 Crest Way, in Aberdeen.
Cliffwood is home to Cliffwood Elementary School. On January 26, 1855, tobacco magnate David Hunter McAlpin sold 0.5 acres (0.20 ha) of land for $50.00 to the Trustees of the Matavan School District No. 1. for school purposes. This remains a part of the campus of the Cliffwood Elementary School. The Matawan Aberdeen Middle School is also located in Cliffwood.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Cliffwood include:
- Jay Bellamy (born 1972), safety who played in the NFL for the Seattle Seahawks and New Orleans Saints.
- Anthony Brown American football quarterback for the Oregon Ducks.
- "Cliffwood". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- DP-1 Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 from the 2010 Demographic Profile Data for ZCTA5 07721 Archived 2020-02-13 at archive.today, United States Census Bureau. Accessed August 9, 2017.
- Locality Search, State of New Jersey. Accessed February 21, 2015.
- Monmouth County Deed Book M6, page 242
- Jay Bellamy, NJSports.com. Accessed March 14, 2018. "Jay Bellamy was born July 8, 1972 in Perth Amboy. He grew up in the Cliffwood section of Aberdeen, where he distinguished himself in youth sports leagues with his remarkable strength and speed."
- Carino, Jerry. "At Rutgers, Aberdeen's Anthony Brown has victorious homecoming for Boston College", Asbury Park Press, September 22, 2019. Accessed April 19, 2020. "For quarterback Anthony Brown, though, it took place Saturday at Rutgers.... In an amazing coincidence, Rutgers quarterback Art Sitkowski grew up in Old Bridge just five miles down Route 516 from Brown’s Cliffwood neighborhood."