Clifton is a hamlet by the River Cherwell in Deddington civil parish about 6 miles (10 km) south of Banbury, Oxfordshire, England. Clifton is on the B4031 road between Deddington and Croughton, Northamptonshire.
A Methodist chapel was built in Clifton in about 1815. It was a small brick building and has since been demolished. The Methodists replaced it in 1869 with a new brick and stucco chapel with plain lancet windows. It was still in use for worship in the 1950s but was disused by 1983 and is now a private house.
The Clifton dog actor Sykes (born c.2004), is owned by a local animal trainer. He has appeared as "Harvey" in Thinkbox marketing commercials, TV serials, and films. His advertisement for John Smith's Brewery saw him play "Tonto" against Peter Kay.
- Crossley 1983, pp. 143–159. sfn error: no target: CITEREFCrossley1983 (help)
- Crossley 1983, pp. 81–120. sfn error: no target: CITEREFCrossley1983 (help)
- Sweeney, Mike (9 September 2010). "Dog has its day in Thinkbox campaign for power of TV advertising". The Guardian. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
Sources and further reading
- Allbrook, Michael; Forsyth, Robert (2011). A Parish at War; A military record of three Oxfordshire villages; Deddington — Clifton — Hempton. Oxford: Oxford Publishing Ltd. ISBN 978-1-870677-04-2.
- Allbrook, Michael; Forsyth, Robert (2012). A Parish at War; A military record of three Oxfordshire villages; Deddington — Clifton — Hempton; The Supplement. Oxford: Oxford Publishing Ltd.
- Crossley, Alan (ed.); Baggs, A.P.; Colvin, Christina; Colvin, H.M.; Cooper, Janet; Day, C.J.; Selwyn, Nesta; Tomkinson, A. (1983). A History of the County of Oxford, Volume 11: Wootton Hundred (northern part). Victoria County History. pp. 143–159.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)