Old Clifton Butter Factory, 2007
|Population||1,456 (2016 census)|
Clifton is a town in the Darling Downs region of Queensland, Australia. The lands around the town was first settled by Europeans in 1840. At the 2016 census, Clifton had a population of 1,456. The town is situated just west of the New England Highway, about 50 kilometres (31 mi) south of Toowoomba and 150 kilometres (93 mi) west of Brisbane.
Bange's Airfield, six kilometres west of Clifton, is a centre for ultralight aircraft, and home to the Lone Eagle Flying School and the Darling Downs Sport Aircraft Association Inc. Boab trees are an important cultural heritage feature, particularly alongside the main street.
Clifton Post Office opened on 20 April 1869 (it was known as King's Creek for a short period in 1869).
The Clifton War Memorial is located on the corner of King and Edward Streets.
The Clifton Library opened in 2002.
On 28 January 1964, Clifton Secondary Department commenced classes. In 1966, a new high school was declared. Clifton State High School is a Queensland public secondary school serving the needs of the town of Clifton and surrounding rural districts.
The Clifton Library is operated by the Toowoomba Regional Council. The library is located on Meara Place and is open five days a week (Tuesday through Saturday).
Clifton Historical Museum is located in the old butter factory where there is a range of early agricultural tools and machinery on display. It is staffed by volunteers.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Clifton (Qld) (SSC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Clifton War Memorial". Monument Australia. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Public Libraries Statistical Bulletin 2016-17" (PDF). Public Libraries Connect. State Library of Queensland. p. 16. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "Toowoomba Regional Council". Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- "Clifton Historical Museum". Toowoomba Regional Council. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- "Branch Locations". Queensland Country Women's Association. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Clifton
- Clifton State High School
- Video: Clifton - Why we like to live here A digital story created by Barbara Free about the area of Clifton, as part of the Queensland Stories Project, State Library of Queensland. (Windows Media player, RealPlayer)
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|