Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania
|Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania|
|Land of stolen shovels|
|Elevation||157 ft (47.9 m)|
|Area||0.6 sq mi (1.6 km2)|
|- land||0.6 sq mi (2 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||11,086.7/sq mi (4,280.6/km2)|
|Mayor||Joe Kelly Jr|
|- summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code||610 and 484|
Location of Pennsylvania in the United States
The population of the borough was 1,820 in 1890, 3,155 in 1910, and reached a maximum of 10,268 in 1960.
Clifton Heights is located in eastern Delaware County at  It is bordered to the northeast by the borough of Lansdowne, to the southeast by the borough of Aldan, and to the west and north by Upper Darby Township. The community of Drexel Hill in Upper Darby Township is to the north of Clifton Heights, across Darby Creek.(39.929062, -75.295760).
The main road through the borough is Baltimore Avenue, which leads northeast into Philadelphia and southwest 5 miles (8 km) to Media.
As of 2015, the racial makeup of the borough was 70.0% Non-Hispanic White, 18.3% Black or African American, 6.1% Asian (0.2% Asian Indian, 2.9% Chinese, 0.2% Filipino, 0.2% Japanese, 2.6% Vietnamese), 2.1% Some other race, and 2.5% Two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 3.1% of the population. 14.5% of the borough's population was foreign born.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,779 people, 2,714 households, and 1,696 families residing in the borough. The population density was 10,882.5 people per square mile (4,221.6/km²). There were 2,883 housing units at an average density of 4,628.2 per square mile (1,795.4/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 94.22% White, 2.92% African American, 0.06% Native American, 1.50% Asian, 0.38% from other races, and 0.91% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.99% of the population.
There were 2,714 households, out of which 31.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.9% were married couples living together, 14.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.5% were non-families. 31.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 12.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the borough the population was spread out, with 25.8% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 32.9% from 25 to 44, 18.6% from 45 to 64, and 14.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 95.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.8 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $39,291, and the median income for a family was $48,919. Males had a median income of $36,534 versus $32,210 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $20,534. About 11.2% of families and 11.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.1% of those under age 18 and 6.4% of those age 65 or over.
Clifton Heights borough is served by the Upper Darby School District.
- Lena Blackburne, baseball player, manager, inventor
- Eric Brittingham, bassist
- Daniel Cleary, ecological pioneer
- Jim Goad, author
- Tom Keifer, singer-songwriter
- Dan Morgan, professional football player
- Tom Savage, professional football player
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Clifton Heights borough, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 12 May 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Clifton Heights.|