Clifton Hill railway station
Northbound from Platform 2 in October 2008
|Location||Hoddle Street, Clifton
|Distance||6.60 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||8 May 1888|
|Passengers (2008-2009)||1.001 million|
|Passengers (2009-2010)||1.030 million 2.9%|
|Passengers (2010-2011)||1.088 million 5.63%|
|Passengers (2011-2012)||0.982 million 9.74%|
|Passengers (2012-2013)||Not measured|
|Passengers (2013-2014)||0.964 million 1.83%|
Clifton Hill railway station is located on the South Morang and Hurstbridge lines in Victoria, Australia. It serves the north-eastern Melbourne suburb of Clifton Hill, and opened on 8 May 1888. The station serves as a junction, where the two lines separate immediately north of the station.
Clifton Hill railway station opened on 8 May 1888. The station was damaged by fire in December 1981, although the heritage registered verandah escaped serious damage. The station was renovated in 1990, with a matching verandah built on the western platform (Platform 2). Boom barriers replaced interlocked gates at the Ramsden Street level crossing in 1992. Signal boxes "A" and "B" were also abolished in May 1992, with semaphore signals replaced by coloured light signals. It was upgraded to a Premium station on 25 June 1996.
It is listed on the Register of the National Estate. It is an intact example of a Victorian Tudor style suburban railway station, and is one of eleven that were originally built in 1887–89. It is the only example that still retains the original corrugated iron wings on either side of the main building. The timber verandah on the eastern platform (Platform 1) is also considered architecturally rare. Other features of the complex include two timber-framed gabled roofed signal boxes (built in 1888 and 1901), located on either side of Platform 2, and the original swinging railway gates (not in use since 1992). One signal box was for the operation of the former level crossing gates across Heidelberg Road, which was replaced by an overpass in 1957. The other signal box serviced the level crossing at Ramsden Street.
Clifton Hill was once part of the Inner Circle line. The Hurstbridge line, between Clifton Hill and Westgarth, was duplicated in 2008/09, and included a bridge over Merri Creek. It was opened by then Premier, John Brumby, and then Transport Minister, Lynne Kosky, on 27 January 2009.
Platforms & services
Clifton Hill has two side platforms, connected by an underpass. Platform 1 contains an enclosed waiting area, while Platform 2 contains a semi-enclosed waiting area and toilets. It is serviced by Metro Trains' South Morang and Hurstbridge line services.
- South Morang line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Hurstbridge line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- South Morang line: all stations and limited stops services to South Morang
- Hurstbridge line: all stations and limited stops services to Hurstbridge
Dyson's Bus Services operates two routes via Clifton Hill station:
- 504: to Moonee Ponds Junction
- 546: Heidelberg station – University of Melbourne Tram Stop (off peak extension to Queen Victoria Market)
Transdev Melbourne operates one route via Clifton Hill station:
- "Train Station Patronage FY2008-2014" (XLS). Public Transport Victoria. 14 May 2015. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2016. (access from )
- Clifton Hill Vicsig
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. November 1992. p. 370.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- Clifton Hill Railway Station Department of the Environment
- Clifton Hill Railway Station Complex Heritage Victoria
- "First-passenger-trains-on-new-rail-bridge-today". ALP Media Release. Retrieved 2009-01-30.[dead link]
- South Morang Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Hurstbridge Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 504 Clifton Hill – Moonee Ponds timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 546 Heidelberg - Melbourne University timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 246 Elsternwick - Clifton Hill timetable Public Transport Victoria