This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Clifton Wrottesley, 14th Baronet, 6th Baron Wrottesley|
Clifton Wrottesley, 14th Baronet, 6th Baron Wrottesley
|Born||Clifton Hugh Lancelot de Verdon Wrottesley
|Residence||St Moritz, Switzerland
|Alma mater||Edinburgh University
|Children||3 sons, Victor, Magnus and Luca, 1 daughter Isla|
|Parent(s)||Hon. Richard Francis Gerard Wrottesley
Georgina Wrottesley, née Clifton
|Relatives||Urs Schwarzenbach (father-in-law)|
Clifton Hugh Lancelot de Verdon Wrottesley, 14th Baronet, 6th Baron Wrottesley (born 1968), is an Irish sportsman and British peer.
Wrottesley was born at Hatch Street, Dublin in 1968 to the Hon. Richard Francis Gerard Wrottesley and his wife, Georgina Wrottesley, née Clifton, daughter of Lt. Col. Peter Clifton of Dummer House, Hampshire, and his wife, Patricia Mary Adela Clifton, née Gibson-Watt, of Doldowlod House, Radnorshire.
His first two years were spent in Abbyknockmoy, Co Galway. After his father's death, he moved to Spain with his mother.
Through his paternal grandmother he is a descendant of the Stratford family, and through his maternal grandfather the Clan Bruce. He inherited the Wrottesley Barony in 1977 upon the death of his grandfather, his father having died when he was two.
HM Revenue and Customs have issued tax demands for 2000 to 2008 on the basis that Wrottesley was domiciled in the UK. Wrottesley has appealed, contending that his domicile of origin is in the Republic of Ireland. The first-tier tribunal has issued a preliminary ruling but has not yet issued a final decision in the case.
Wrottesley competed as an Irish skeleton racer on the Fédération Internationale de Bobsleigh et de Tobogganing (FIBT) Skeleton Continental circuits in the 2000-2001 season and the FIBT World Cup circuit in the 2001-2002 season. He finished fourth in the Men's Skeleton at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. As of 2014, this remains the best result of any Irish athlete at the Olympic Winter Games.
Wrottesley is also a rider of the Cresta Run, St Moritz, Switzerland. He has ridden on the Run since the 1988-1989 season, won his Cresta colours in 1996, and has won many of the Open races since his first victory in 1997 (although he did not compete on the Run in the 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 seasons, due to commitments on the FIBT Skeleton circuits).
Of the 4 Classic Races on the Cresta Run, Wrottesley has won The Curzon Cup (the Blue Riband event of the season from Junction) a record 11 times (beating Nino Bibbia's record of 8), The Morgan Cup a record 12 times (beating Franco Gansser's record of 10), The Brabazon Trophy a record 14 times and the Grand National (the Blue Riband event of the season from Top) a record 13 times (beating Nino Bibbia and Franco Gansser's record of 8).
Wrottesley has also won The Grand Slam a record 5 times (all 4 Classic races in the one season), in 2003, 2005, 2006, 2010 and 2012.
Wrottesley holds the record for the number of Classic races won with a total of 50 to date, was the first person ever to break the 50 second barrier (on 1 February 2015) and in doing so holds the World Record from Top (49.92 seconds). Wrottesley also holds the Flying Junction Record (31.44 seconds).
He lives in St Moritz, Switzerland and London, England. He is married to Sascha Wrottesley, née Schwarzenbach, Lady Wrottesley and the daughter of Urs Schwarzenbach, the Swiss billionaire financier. The couple have four children: three sons, Victor, Magnus and Luca, and a daughter Isla.
- "The life and times of Clifton Hugh Lancelot de Verdon Wrottesley". Irishtimes.com. 2014-02-05. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- Debrett's Peerage
- Sinead Grennan (2002-02-24). "How 'our Clifton' became an Olympic hero". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- Ian Chadband (2002-02-20). "Irish Lancelot lords it up over Britain | Sport | London Evening Standard". Standard.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- "Person Page 5504". Thepeerage.com. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- "Lord Clifton Wrottesley". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- "Lord Clifton Wrottesley". Britishskeleton.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2015-09-22. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- "Appeal Number : TC/2014/01551 : THE RIGHT HONOURABLE CLIFTON HUGH LANCELOT DE VERDON BARON WROTTESLEY (Appellant) and THE COMMISSIONERS FOR HER MAJESTY'S REVENUE & CUSTOMS (Respondents)" (PDF). Financeandtaxtribunals.gov.uk. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- "News article". Fibt.com. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- "Events & Races". Cresta-run.com. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- Debrett's People of Today
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- 2002 men's skeleton results
- BBC.co.uk profile during the 2002 Winter Olympics
- RTE article on Wrottesley
- Skeletonsport.com profile
- FIBT results archive
- asmallworld profile
- The St. Mortiz Tobogganing Club (SMTC) Annual Report 2011-2012
- Link to SMTC website
- The Irish Times, 5 February 2013
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Richard John Wrottesley
Hon. Victor Wrottesley