Climate Research (journal)
|Edited by||Mikhail Semenov, Nils Stenseth|
|ISO 4||Clim. Res.|
Climate Research is a peer-reviewed scientific journal published by the Inter-Research Science Center that was established in 1990. The journal covers all aspects of the interactions of climate with organisms, ecosystems, and human societies. Its founder and long time publisher was marine biologist Otto Kinne.
Soon and Baliunas controversy
In 2003, a controversial paper written by Willie Soon and Sallie Baliunas was published in the journal after being accepted by editor Chris de Freitas. The article reviewed 240 previous papers and concluded that "Across the world, many records reveal that the 20th century is probably not the warmest or a uniquely extreme climatic period of the last millennium". Many of the scientists cited in the paper denied this conclusion and protested that their data and results had been misrepresented. In response to the handling by the journal publisher of the controversy over the paper's publication, several scientists, including newly appointed editor-in-chief Hans von Storch, resigned from the journal's editorial board. "While these statements may be true, the critics point out that they cannot be concluded convincingly from the evidence provided in the paper. CR should have requested appropriate revisions of the manuscript prior to publication."
- "Inter Research » Journals » CR » Information". Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- "Some Like It Hot". Mother Jones. May–June 2005. Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- Soon, Willie; Sallie Baliunas (January 2003). "Proxy climatic and environmental changes of the past 1000 years" (PDF). Climate Research. Inter-Research Science Center. 23: 89–110. Bibcode:2003ClRes..23...89S. doi:10.3354/cr023089.
- Hoggan, James; Littlemore, Richard (2009). Climate Cover-Up: The Crusade to Deny Global Warming. Greystone Books. pp. 104–5. ISBN 978-1-55365-485-8.
- Monastersky, Richard (September 2003). "Storm Brews Over Global Warming" (PDF). The Chronicle of Higher Education. 50 (2): A16. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-01-07. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Kinne, Otto (August 2003). "Climate Research: an article unleashed worldwide storms" (PDF). Climate Research. Inter-Research Science Center. 24: 197–198. Bibcode:2003ClRes..24..197K. doi:10.3354/cr024197.