Geography of Liberia
|This article does not cite any references (sources). (April 2015)|
Liberia is a Sub-Saharan nation in West Africa located at 6 °N, 9 °W. It borders the north Atlantic Ocean to the southwest (580 kilometres (360 mi) of coastline) and three other African nations on the other three sides.
In total, Liberia comprises 110,000 square kilometres (43,000 sq mi) of which 96,300 square kilometres (37,190 sq mi) is land and 15,000 square kilometres (5,810 sq mi) is water.
Borders and maritime claims
The total length of Liberia's land borders is 1,587 kilometres (986 mi): 310 kilometres (190 mi) with Sierra Leone on the northwest, 560 kilometres (350 mi) with Guinea to the north, and 716 kilometres (445 mi) with Ivory Coast. Liberia currently claims a territorial sea of 200 nmi (370 km; 230 mi).
Liberia has a mostly hilly terrain, from rolling plains along the coast to a rolling plateau and low mountains in the northeast.
The lowest point on Liberia is at sea level on the Atlantic Ocean. The highest point on Liberia is 1380 m above sea level at Mount Wuteve.
Land use and agriculture
arable land: 4.04%
permanent crops: 1.62%
other: 94.34% (2011)
21 square kilometres of Liberia's land was irrigated as of 2003.
Environmental issues in Liberia include the deforestation of tropical rainforest, the hunting of endangered species for bushmeat, the pollution of rivers and coastal waters from industrial run-off and raw sewage, and the burning and dumping of household waste.
Environment - international agreements
party to: Biodiversity, Climate Change, Climate Change-Kyoto Protocol, Desertification, Endangered Species, Hazardous Wastes, Law of the Sea, Ozone Layer Protection, Ship Pollution, Tropical Timber 83, Tropical Timber 94, Wetlands
signed, but not ratified: Environmental Modification, Marine Life Conservation
This is a list of the extreme points of Liberia, the points that are farther north, south, east or west than any other location.
- Northernmost point – unnamed location on the border with Guinea in the Sodia river immediately north of the town of Vonamai, Lofa County.
- Easternmost point – unnamed headland at the confluence of the Cavally river and the Hana river, River Gee County.
- Southernmost point – Kablaké headland, Maryland County.
- Westernmost point - unnamed headland immediately west of the town of Sewulu at the mouth of the Mano River, Grand Cape Mount County.
- Administrative divisions of Liberia
- List of cities in Liberia
- List of rivers of Liberia
- List of Liberian national forests