Climate risk management
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (June 2009)
There is also a journal namely CRM being published by Elsevier (not indexed by the Science Citation Index Expanded (Web of Science) and Scopus - No impact factor).
Climate risk management is a generic term referring to an approach to climate-sensitive decision making. The approach seeks to promote sustainable development by reducing the vulnerability associated with climate risk. CRM involves strategies aimed at maximizing positive and minimizing negative outcomes for communities in fields such as agriculture, food security, water resources, and health.
Climate risk management covers a broad range of potential actions, including: early-response systems, strategic diversification, dynamic resource-allocation rules, financial instruments, infrastructure design and capacity building. But in addition to avoiding adverse outcomes, a climate risk management strategy also aims to maximize opportunities in climate-sensitive economic sectors--for example, farmers who use favorable seasonal forecasts to maximize their crop productivity.
Major international conferences and workshops
United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change involves negotiations among delegates on climate change framework. Discussions center on mitigation, adaptation, technology development and transfer, and financial resources and investment.
World Meteorological Organization - Living With Climate
The Living with Climate Conference was co-hosted by the World Meteorological Organization, the Earth Institute and the Finnish Meteorological Institute in July, 2006. The meeting was designed to review opportunities and constraints in integrating climate risks and uncertainties into decision-making. A major outcome was the Espoo Statement.
- Risk management
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- World Meteorological Organization
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
- Finnish Meteorological Institute
- Earth Institute
- Hellmuth, M.E., Moorhead, A., Thomson, M.C., and Williams, J. (eds) 2007. Climate Risk Management in Africa: Learning from Practice. International Research Institute for Climate and Society (IRI), Columbia University, New York, USA.
- International Research Institute for Climate and Society
- "Living with Climate". www.livingwithclimate.fi. Retrieved 2019-08-06.
- World Bank- Managing Climate Risk: Integrating Adaptation into World Bank Group Operations
- Climate Risk Management in Africa: Learning from Practice
- Natural Disaster Hotspots Case Studies
- Bridge Over Troubled Waters: Linking Climate Change and Development, OECD
- Come Rain or Shine:Integrating Climate Risk Management into African Development Bank Operations