|Directed by||Carol Reed|
|Produced by||Michael Balcon|
|Written by||Marion Dix
|Music by||Louis Levy|
|Edited by||Al Barnes
Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation(USA)
|November 1938 (UK)
1 December 1938 (USA)
19 October 1942 (Sweden)
Climbing High is a 1938 British comedy film directed by Carol Reed and produced by Michael Balcon with a screenplay by Sonnie Hale, Marion Dix and Lesser Samuels. It stars Jessie Matthews, Michael Redgrave, Noel Madison, Margaret Vyner and Alistair Sim, and was first released in the U.K. in November 1938.
Nicky Brooke (Michael Redgrave) a wealthy young man who despite his engagement to the aristocratic (and broke) Lady Constance Westaker (Margaret Vyner) falls for hard-up model Diana Castles ( Jessie Matthews) after nearly running her over with his car. In an effort to distance himself from 'tabloid' created tales of his playboy lifestyle, he changes his name and attempts to woo Diana by pretending to be poor.
- Jessie Matthews as Diana Castles
- Michael Redgrave as Nicky Brooke
- Noel Madison as Gibson
- Alastair Sim as Max
- Margaret Vyner as Lady Constance Westaker
- Mary Clare as Lady Emily Westaker
- Francis L. Sullivan as Madman
- Enid Stamp-Taylor as Winnie
- Torin Thatcher as Jim Castle
- Tucker McGuire as Patsey
- Basil Radford as Reggie Baird
- Athole Stewart as Uncle
- Kathleen Byran as model
- Terry-Thomas as voice of cow
- Leslie Phillips as a child actor.
Writing for Allmovie Bruce Eder considered Climbing High to be one of Jessie Matthews best vehicles which he noted was: " a surprising result considering it is devoid of the musical numbers that one would have expected from one of England's top dancing and singing talents of the period. What it has is a brilliantly piercing witty script ... superbly engaging acting performances by all concerned and superb pacing." Eder further noted that " Carol Reed was only 3 years into his career ... and was already one of the top comedy directors in England." He concluded that Climbing High was " one of the most entertaining British comedies of the period with some piercing topical humour (especially about the advertising business and political activism) that still holds today."
- "Climbing High (1938) - Carol Reed - Cast and Crew - AllMovie". AllMovie. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Climbing High". 1 December 1938. Retrieved 19 July 2016 – via IMDb.
- "Climbing High (1939) | BFI". Ftvdb.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- Reed, Carol (1938-12-01), Climbing High, retrieved 2016-07-19
- Halliwell, Leslie (1987). Halliwell's Film Guide (6th Edition). U.K.: Grafton Books. p. 200. ISBN 0-246-13207-8.
- "Climbing High (1938) - Carol Reed | Review | AllMovie". AllMovie. Retrieved 2016-07-19.