Capela with the Rockets in 2016
|No. 15 – Houston Rockets|
May 18, 1994 |
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)|
|Listed weight||240 lb (109 kg)|
|High school||INSEP (Paris, France)|
|NBA draft||2014 / Round: 1 / Pick: 25th overall|
|Selected by the Houston Rockets|
|2014–2015||→Rio Grande Valley Vipers|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Capela, whose parents are from Angola and the Congo, was born in Geneva, Switzerland. His parents separated a few months after his birth, leaving his mother to raise him and his brothers by herself. His passion as a youngster was football, but due to being 1.90 m (6 ft 3 in) as a 13-year-old, his eldest brother suggested he switch to basketball. At 15 years old, he was spotted at the European Junior Championships with the Swiss team and joined the Chalon-sur-Saône training center, INSEP, in France.
Élan Chalon (2012–2014)
On April 12, 2014, Capela represented the World Team at the 2014 Nike Hoop Summit. Later that month, he declared for the 2014 NBA draft. In May 2014, he was named the Best Young Player and Most Improved Player of the 2013–14 LNB Pro A season.
Houston Rockets (2014–present)
On June 26, 2014, Capela was selected with the 25th overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft by the Houston Rockets. On July 25, 2014, he signed with the Rockets. On March 30, 2015, Capela scored his first NBA points, finishing the game with eight points and nine rebounds in a 99–96 loss to the Toronto Raptors. On April 13, he had a season-best game for the Rockets with 10 points and five rebounds in a win over the Charlotte Hornets. During his rookie season, he had multiple assignments with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA Development League. Capela took a step forward in the postseason, when he saw minutes in place of the injured Donatas Motiejūnas. He appeared in more playoff games (17) than regular season contests in 2014–15 and averaged 3.4 points in 7.5 minutes per postseason game.
On November 6, 2015, Capela recorded his first career double-double with then career highs of 13 points and 12 rebounds as a starter in a 116–110 win over the Sacramento Kings. On November 29, in an overtime win over the New York Knicks, Capela recorded his third double-double over a span of four games, including a career-high 18 points. During the 2016 NBA All-Star Weekend, Capela competed for the World Team in the Rising Stars Challenge. On April 13, in the Rockets' season finale, Capela recorded a career-high 17 rebounds in a 116–81 win over Sacramento.
On November 19, 2016, Capela scored a career-high 20 points in a 111–102 win over the Utah Jazz. On December 19, 2016, he was ruled out for six weeks after suffering a broken fibula. He returned to action on January 17, 2017 against the Miami Heat after missing 15 games; he started the game against Miami but was scoreless in nine minutes.
National team career
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||PIR||Performance Index Rating|
Note: The EuroLeague is not the only competition in which the player participated for the team during the season. He also played in domestic competition, and regional competition if applicable.
- Regular season
- "NBA players express shock, sympathy over Paris terrorist tragedy". ESPN.com. November 14, 2015. Retrieved November 14, 2015.
- Jaquet, Aurélie (November 16, 2016). "Clint Capela à la conquête de l'Ouest". illustre.ch (in French). Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- "2014 Nike Hoop Summit: World Team Recap - NBADraft.net".
- "Clint Capela officially declares for the 2014 NBA Draft".
- "Capela, Falker, Diot and Dobbins win French Pro Awards".
- "2014 NBA Draft: Rockets get a B for picking Clint Capela at No. 25".
- "Rockets Introduce Capela and Johnson - Houston Rockets".
- TEGNA. "KHOU - Houston Flights, Traffic, Road Conditions, Traffic Cams, Maps - KHOU.com".
- Feigen, Jonathan (March 31, 2015). "Clint Capela leaves good impression after performance in Toronto". Chron.com. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- "Rockets at Hornets".
- "2014-15 NBA Assignments". NBA.com. Archived from the original on September 6, 2015. Retrieved December 28, 2014.
- Rockets To Pick Up 2016/17 Option On Clint Capela
- "Rockets vs Kings".
- "Rockets vs Knicks".
- "Kings vs Rockets".
- "Harden, Rockets beat Jazz, improve to 4-1 at home". ESPN.com. November 19, 2016. Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Moore, Matt (December 19, 2016). "Rockets center Clint Capela out up to six weeks with fractured fibula". CBSSports.com. Retrieved December 19, 2016.
- "Dragic scores 21 and Heat stun Rockets, 109-103". ESPN.com. January 17, 2017. Retrieved January 17, 2017.