Clinton, Clinton County, New York
Clinton, New York
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Town Supervisor||Daniel L. LaClair (D)|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||67.1 sq mi (173.8 km2)|
|• Land||67.1 sq mi (173.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,168 ft (356 m)|
|• Density||11/sq mi (4.2/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||978840|
Clinton is a town in the northwest corner of Clinton County, New York, United States. The population was 737 at the 2010 census. The town is located in the northwest corner of the county and is northwest of Plattsburgh.
The area was settled before 1820 near the community of Frontier. The town was set apart from the town of Ellenburg in 1845.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town of Clinton has a total area of 67.1 square miles (173.8 km2), of which 67.1 square miles (173.7 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km2), or 0.04%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 727 people, 270 households, and 201 families residing in the town. The population density was 10.8 people per square mile (4.2/km²). There were 348 housing units at an average density of 5.2 per square mile (2.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.35% White, 0.28% African American, 0.14% Asian, 0.28% from other races, and 0.96% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.28% of the population.
There were 270 households out of which 31.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.4% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.2% were non-families. 19.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.69 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the town, the population was spread out with 26.3% under the age of 18, 5.6% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 23.8% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 113.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 114.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $28,750, and the median income for a family was $34,375. Males had a median income of $25,804 versus $27,292 for females. The per capita income for the town was $11,787. About 14.7% of families and 17.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.2% of those under age 18 and 20.6% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Clinton
- Churubusco – A hamlet on NY-189, north of US-11, in the central part of the town.
- Clinton Mills – A hamlet east of Churubusco on Clinton Mills Road.
- English River – A small stream in the eastern part of Clinton.
- Frontier – A hamlet on the Canada–US border in the northwest part of the town.
- Gibson Corners – A location on the northeastern town line on Clinton Mills Road.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Clinton town, Clinton County, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
Media related to Clinton, Clinton County, New York at Wikimedia Commons