Clio Goldsmith in 1981.
16 June 1957 |
|Spouse(s)||Carlo Alessandro Puri Negri
|Children||Talita Puri Negri
|Parent(s)||Edward Goldsmith (father)|
|Relatives||Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (former sister-in-law)
Sir James Goldsmith (uncle)
Zac Goldsmith (cousin)
Jemima Khan (cousin)
Ben Goldsmith (cousin)
Clio Goldsmith (previously Clio Shand when she was married to Mark Shand) (born 16 June 1957) is a French former actress, appearing mostly as a Femme fatale in some films of the early 1980s. She is a member of the prominent Goldsmith family through her father ecologist Edward Goldsmith.
Life and career
She began acting in the 1980 movie La Cicala of Alberto Lattuada. Alongside Virna Lisi and Anthony Franciosa, she played a fun-loving girl ending up as prostitute. In 1981, she played prostitute Clemence in Mauro Bolognini's La Dame aux camélias (after The Lady of the Camellias) together with Isabelle Huppert. In Plein sud, she vows she will take up with the first fool she sees, seducing Patrick Dewaere.
In 1982, the title role in the comedy Le cadeau (The Gift, or Bankers Also Have Souls) earned her some international fame. The Michel Lang movie which was produced by her cousin Gilbert de Goldschmidt featured Pierre Mondy and Claudia Cardinale. Goldsmith plays a beautiful call girl, a gift to a retiring banker from his colleagues. After two other roles, and having appeared twice in an Italian adult entertainment magazine Playmen, she retired from acting.
From 1982 to 1985 she was married to Italian entrepreneur Carlo Alessandro Puri Negri (*1952), an heir of the Pirelli family. They had a daughter, Talita. In 1990 she married British author Mark Shand, brother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and they had a daughter, Ayesha. Shand confirmed in 2010 that the couple were divorced.
- 1980: The Cricket (La cicala)
- 1980: The Lady of the Camellias
- 1981: Honey (Miele di donna)
- 1981: Heat of Desire (Plein sud)
- 1981: La caduta degli angeli ribelli
- 1982: Miss Right (La donna giusta)
- 1982: Le Grand Pardon
- 1982: Bankers Also Have Souls (Le cadeau)
- 1984: ...e la vita continua (TV)
- 1986: Tug of Love (L'étincelle )
- Clio Goldsmith
- Plein sud (1981) - Plot summary
- Cadeau, Le (1982) - Plot summary
- allmovie ((( Le Cadeau > Overview )))
- The Elephant Man, By Samantha Conti, W Magazine, March 2008
- Roberts, Alison (April 15, 2010). "Mark Shand is the Elephant man". London Evening Standard. Retrieved April 23, 2014.