Standen in 2015
22 July 1981|
Holywood, County Down, Northern Ireland
|Spouse(s)||Francesca Standen (m. 2007)|
Clive James Standen (born 22 July 1981) is a British actor best known for playing Bryan Mills in the NBC series Taken, based on the movie of the same name, as well as Rollo in the History Channel series Vikings, Sir Gawain in the Starz series Camelot, Archer in the BBC TV series Robin Hood, and Private Carl Harris in the British sci-fi show Doctor Who.
Early life and education
Clive James Standen was born on a British Army base in Holywood, County Down, Northern Ireland, and grew up in Leicestershire, East Midlands, England. He went to school at the King Edward VII School, Melton Mowbray followed by a performing arts course at Melton Mowbray College. Standen then went on to earn a place on the 3 year diploma course in Acting at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. Away from acting, in his late teens Standen was a former international Muay Thai boxer and later Fencing gold medalist.
Standen's first experience of stunts, horse riding and sword fighting was at age 12 when he got his first job working in a professional stunt team in Nottingham. At the age of 15 Standen was a member of both the National Youth Theatre and the National Youth Music Theatre performing in productions at many well known venues. Later Standen won a place on the three-year acting course at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art.
In 2004, Standen appeared in Waking the Dead, the Second World War documentary drama Ten Days to D-Day, and took the lead role of Major Alan Marshall in the Zero Hour TV dramatisation of the SAS mission, operation Barras, in Sierra Leone. The next year he appeared in three episodes of the British soap Doctors and Tom Brown's Schooldays, the acclaimed ITV adaptation of the book by Thomas Hughes. Standen played Private Carl Harris in three episodes of the fourth series of the relaunched British sci-fi show Doctor Who. The following year he played 'Archer', the brother of Robin Hood in the BBC TV series Robin Hood. Standen was part of the main cast of the TV series Camelot for Starz (TV network) in which he portrayed the famous Arthurian knight Sir Gawain.
On film, Standen took a supporting role in the mainstream Bollywood film Namastey London, starring Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif. In 2012, Standen completed filming on the Vertigo Films feature film Hammer of the Gods. He is a series lead on the History Channel's Vikings in the role of Rollo. He portrays Bryan Mills in the television adaption of Taken. He is set to star in the upcoming Screen Gems thriller film Patient Zero.
|2004||Ten Days to D-Day||Canadian Commanding Officer|
|2005||Tom Brown's Schooldays||Brooke||TV film|
|2006||Heroes and Villains||Pete|
|2007||Namastey London||Charlie Brown|
|2012||Hammer of the Gods||Hagen|
|2018||Patient Zero||Colonel Knox|
|2004||Waking the Dead||Martin Raynor||2-part episode|
|2005||Doctors||Charlie Halliday||3 episodes|
|2007||Zero Hour||Major Alan Marshall||1 episode|
|2008||Doctor Who||Private Harris||3 episodes|
|2009||Robin Hood||Archer||3 episodes|
|2017–2018||Taken||Bryan Mills||Main role|
|2010||Aliens vs. Predator||Various lead Marine/civilian characters|
|2012||Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier||Kosak|
- The Invention of Love, Salisbury Playhouse (2006) – Moses Jackson
- West Side Story, The Royal Albert Hall (2000) – Diesel
- The Ballad of Salmon Pavey, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre (1999–2000) – Nathanial Giles
- "Taken's Clive Standen: My Very Particular Set of Skills? Tickle Fights and American Girl Trivia". PEOPLE.com. 27 February 2017. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "My kingdom for a Norse: Vikings actor Clive Standen on fame, film roles and family life". Leicester Mercury. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "Interview with Clive Standen (Rollo)". History. 30 August 2016. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "BBC – Press Office – Robin Hood returns to BBC One: Clive Standen". bbc.co.uk.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 October 2010. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- Hodgkinson, Will. Robin Hood: easily replaced by another archer, The Guardian, 16 June 2009. Accessed 25 April 2015.
- "EXCLUSIVE: 'Vikings' Star Clive Standen Talks Rollo's Absence, Teases 'Fiery' Reunion Between Rollo and Bjorn". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "'Vikings' Star Clive Standen: Why It's Not Enough to Just WANT to Be an Actor (or Entrepreneur)". Inc.com. 30 November 2016. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "Patient Zero Begins Filming". Dread Central.
- "Vikings star Clive Standen discusses Dying Light, gaming, TV show". www.gamecrate.com. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "Real Men Don't Whale". YouTube. 29 August 2013.
- The Stage Reviews The Invention of Love
- The Independent Reviews The Invention of Love
- The Telegraph Reviews The Invention of Love
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clive Standen.|