Clivillés and Cole
Production/song writing/remixing work
Mariah Carey worked extensively with Clivillés + Cole, who hired the duo to produce songs for her albums and remix her singles. Clivillés + Cole produced and co-wrote the album versions and remixes of her hit singles "Emotions" and "Make It Happen." Additionally, they produced the album tracks "You're So Cold" and "To be around You" (which all are from the album Emotions). They also produced the remixes of her hit "Anytime You Need A Friend", the originals "Now That I Know" and "I've Been Thinking About You" (from the album Music Box) and the original and remixes to "Joy to the World" (from the album Merry Christmas). The single "One Sweet Day" was written in memory of David Cole.
Among the hits remixed by the duo Clivillés & Cole were Natalie Cole's cover of "Pink Cadillac," Taylor Dayne's "Can't Get Enough of Your Love," Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam's "Let the Beat Hit 'Em," The Cover Girls' "My Heart Skips a Beat" and "All That Glitters Isn't Gold," Pajama Party's "Hide and Seek," Sandée's "Notice Me," and Michael Jackson's "Black or White." The group Seduction was one of Clivilles + Cole's most successful side projects. In the summer of 1991, Clivillés + Cole produced several tracks for a New Kids on the Block remix album titled No More Games: The Remix Album. In 1992, Clivillés + Cole produced Whitney Houston's top 10 single, "I'm Every Woman," originally by Chaka Khan. In 1994, the duo produced a radio version of Jim Carrey's performance of "Cuban Pete" from the movie The Mask.
"A Deeper Love"
In 1991, as Clivillés + Cole, the duo released an LP-single A-side featuring a cover of U2's "Pride (In the Name of Love)", but it was the B-side song "A Deeper Love", featuring vocals by Deborah Cooper (a long time Clivillés and Cole vocalist) and Paul Pesco that proved to be a hit, peaking at No. 15 in the UK. Deborah Cooper performed "Deeper Love" various times, including on Saturday Night Live with Clivillés and Cole's C+C Music Factory. Both sides charted on the Billboard Hot 100 in the spring of 1992: "A Deeper Love" peaked at #44, while "Pride (In The Name Of Love)" reached #54. The video for these songs was actually one long featurette, beginning with "Deeper Love" and then continuing into "Pride (In The Name Of Love)" halfway through the video. The video was labelled "Pride (A Deeper Love)". Some networks preferred to show the videos separately while others played the whole length. In 1992 as Clivillés + Cole an album was released called Greatest Remixes Vol. 1 featuring remixes by the duo of their own songs along with other artists' songs.
In 1994 Aretha Franklin covered "A Deeper Love" from the film Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit. Franklin actually hired Clivillés + Cole to produce the album version as well as the remixes. Thus, the song was a hit for the duo twice in two different incarnations within a 3-year time span.
Singles in charts
|1992||"Pride (In The Name Of Love)"||15||5||54||—||—||27||12||15||54|
|"A Deeper Love"||15||—||6||22||35||—||85||—||44|
- C+C Music Factory's David Cole Dies At 32, Billboard, 4 February 1995 (page 9)
- C+C Music Factory's David Cole Succumbs, Jet, 13 February 1995 (page 18)
- In addition, C+C vocalist Deborah Cooper is a frequent background vocalist on Mariah Carey's singles, albums, and tours internationally with her as a live background vocalist
- Seduction was a vocal trio that included among its members Michelle Visage (now known as a radio personality in the New York City area), Idalis DeLeon (who later became an actress and MTV VJ), and April Harris (who now owns the rights to the band's name and continues to release material). Seduction scored a long string of hits in the early 1990s including "Two to Make it Right" (#2 Hot 100, #1 Dance/Club Play), "Heartbeat" (#13 Hot 100, #2 Dance/Club Play, #21 R&B Singles), "You're My One and Only True Love" (#23 Hot 100, #3 Dance/Club Play, #56 R&B Singles), "Could this be Love" (#11 Hot 100, #38 R&B, #21 Adult Contemporary), "Breakdown" (#82 Hot 100, #4 Dance/Club Play), and "Seduction" (#17 Dance/Club Play).
- Among the tracks the hit title remixed by Clivillés + Cole, titled "Games," which hit #14 on the UK Singles Chart. The album peaked at #10 on the US Billboard 200 album chart, selling more than 500,000 albums and was certified Gold by the RIAA.
- The single included a C+C club mix
- Clivillés & Cole, Discogs
- The single "Deeper Love" by Aretha Franklin featuring a backing vocal by Lisa Fischer
- The single was later released as the lead single of her Greatest Hits (1980–1994) collection
- Australian (ARIA Chart) singles peaks:
- "Pride (In the Name of Love)": "australian-charts.com > Clivillés & Cole - Pride (In the Name of Love) (song)". Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "A Deeper Love": Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988-2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.