ClockworkMod is a software company, owned by Koushik "Koush" Dutta, which develops various software products for Android smartphones and tablets. The company is primarily known for its custom recovery image, known as ClockworkMod Recovery, which is used in many custom made ROMs.
ClockworkMod Recovery is an Android custom recovery image. Once installed, this recovery image replaces your Android device's stock recovery image. Using this recovery image, various system-level operations can be performed. For example, one can create and restore partition backups, root, install, repair, upgrade system software and custom ROMs, and use other developer tools.
ClockworkMod Recovery is free and open-source software, released under the terms of the Apache License 2.0 software license.
The company also provides the following apps:
- ROM Manager: An app to install custom operating systems, known as ROMs. It was briefly pulled for violating Google Play's IAP policies.
- Tether: An app used for tethering regardless of carrier based tethering plans.
- Helium: An app used to backup user and system data on your phone without the need for root.
- DeskSMS: An app to send and receive text messages from your email, browser, or instant messenger client.
- AllCast: An app that lets you stream local and cloud videos to Chromecast, AppleTV, FireTV, and DLNA devices.
- Vysor: An app that allows you to mirror and control your Android device on a desktop computer. It was temporarily removed due to licensing issues.
- TWRP – an alternative to ClockworkMod Recovery
- Corporations and Charities Filing System, Washington Secretary of State, UBI: 603072700, retrieved 6 August 2019
- Crider, Michael. "[Interview] Koushik "Koush" Dutta On Leaving Cyanogen, Inc. And His Return To ClockworkMod". Android Police.
- Hoffman, Chris. "What is a Custom Recovery on Android, and Why Would I Want One?". How-To Geek.
- Danny Stieben (12 January 2014). "What's a Custom Recovery? Exploring CWM, TWRP, and Friends". MakeUseOf.
- Based on: "android_bootable_recovery/NOTICE at cm-12.0 · CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery". GitHub, Inc. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Ruddock, David. "It Looks Like ROM Manager Is Back In The Play Store Already". Android Police.
- D'Orazio, Dante. "New ClockworkMod app offers free tethering to Android phones, sans root". The Verge.
- Novet, Jordan. "Vysor app for using your Android device from your computer becomes unavailable". VentureBeat.
- "All About Recovery Images". CyanogenMod Wiki. Cyanogen, Inc. Archived from the original on 26 August 2015. Retrieved 26 August 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "What is ClockworkMod Recovery, and what is it for?". Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange. Stack Exchange, Inc. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Clock Work Mod based file management". Aroma File Manager for Recovery based file management.