|• Mayor||Wolfgang Wiese (CDU)|
|• Total||70.62 km2 (27.27 sq mi)|
|• Density||470/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Cloppenburg is a town in Lower Saxony, Germany, capital of Cloppenburg District and part of Oldenburg Münsterland. It lies 38 km south-south-west of Oldenburg in the Weser-Ems region between Bremen and the Dutch border. Cloppenburg is not far from the A1, the major motorway connecting the Ruhr area to Bremen and Hamburg. Another major road is the federal highway B213 being the shortest link from the Netherlands to the A1 and thus to Bremen and Hamburg.
The town is a centre for the largely agricultural region of southern Oldenburg. It is the administrative centre of the district and there are many schools.
However there is also some industry in town: e.g. Lumberg, (connector systems) and Derby Cycle (bikes).
- Werner Baumbach (1916–1953), bomber pilot in World War II
- Werner Berges (born 1941), painter
- Manfred Zapatka (born 1942), actor
- Lena Gercke (born 1988), model
- Straße der Megalithkultur - tourist route from Osnabrück to Oldenburg via some 33 Megalithic sites.
Media related to Cloppenburg at Wikimedia Commons
- Official site (German)
|This Cloppenburg district location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|