Close Brothers Group
|Public (LSE: CBG)|
|Industry||Investment Banking, Financial Services|
|Founder||William Brooks Close|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Strone Macpherson, Chairman
Preben Prebensen, CEO
Jonathan Howell, Finance Director
|Products||Asset management, commercial banking, investment banking, investment management, mutual funds, prime brokerage|
|Revenue||£687.4 million (2016)|
|£228.5 million (2016)|
|£186.5 million (2016)|
Close Brothers Group plc is a British specialist financial services group based in the City of London. The company makes loans, trades securities and provides advice and investment management solutions to a wide range of clients. Close Brothers Group plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Close Brothers was founded in 1878 by William Brooks Close who initially provided farm mortgages in Iowa and financed Alaska's first railway the White Pass and Yukon Route. It was the subject of a management buy-out in 1978 and was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1984.
In the 1980s and 1990s the company began a phase of significant expansion through the acquisition of a large number of specialist businesses which included Winterflood Securities in 1993, Hill Samuel's Corporate Finance Division in 1996 and Rea Brothers in 1999.
In March 2008 Close Brothers acquired UK short-term and bridging lender Commercial Acceptances Group for around £31m. In May 2009 it was announced that the corporate finance business was to be acquired by Daiwa Securities SMBC, a Japanese investment banking venture, leaving Close Brothers focused on capital markets, securities trading, lending and investment management solutions.
Close Brothers Invoice Finance (formerly known as Close Invoice Finance) is another subsidiary company of Close Brothers. It was founded in 1984, when the Close Brothers Group acquired a small, Yeovil-based factoring company; Century Factors. In 1993 Century Factors was renamed Close Invoice Finance Limited and today the division works with over 1,000 clients across the UK, Ireland and Germany. It acquired Ulster Factors, the factoring business of Ireland’s longest running invoice finance company, in May 2009 and the invoice financing loan book of GMAC Commercial Finance in January 2010.
Winterflood, a leading market maker in the UK was acquired in 1993. Winterflood trades in relevant MTFs and major dark pools and covers nearly all LSE listed stocks, as well as Alternative Investment Market (AIM) and ICAP Securities and Derivatives Exchange.
Close Brothers Seydler Bank AG, based in Frankfurt, is the group's Continental European and MENA securities business. It provides market making, brokerage and capital markets services to listed and non-listed companies. Its trading desks handle over 2,200 international specialist accounts and trade over 800 bonds. Trading services in all available bonds are offered including corporate, government, high-yields, convertibles, straight and covered bonds. The firm is the largest market-maker in Germany by number of mandates. Close Brothers Seydler Bank AG is a market leader in the origination of debt and equity in Germany, specializing in high yield bonds. The firm was elected Best Bookrunner in German High Yield SME bonds in 2011 and 2012 by Bond Magazine. Close Brothers Seydler was also listed as one of the Top 10 European brokers by Wall Street Journal in 2013. Its subsidiary Close Brothers Seydler Research AG covers more than 120 public listed companies.
Close Brothers Asset Management Division provides a full range of advice, investment management and self-directed services to private, institutional and corporate clients and professional advisers.
- "Annual Report 2016" (PDF). Close Brothers. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Close Brothers History
- "Winterflood Home - Winterflood Securities". winterflood.com. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Era ends as Hill Samuel loses its deal-makers The Independent, 1 June 1996
- The Independent: City People The Independent, 2 August 1999
- "City A.M. - Business With Personality". cityam.com. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Login". timesonline.co.uk. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Close Brothers' lending still healthy". Investors Chronicle. 27 September 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Close Invoice Finance - Factoring - Discounting - Invoice Factoring Forum". invoicefactoringforum.com. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Ed Whisker. "Invoice Discounting". demica.com. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Close Invoice Finance Expands
- "Close Brothers acquires GMAC invoice financing book". leasinglife.com. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Winterflood Securities Ltd - Markets Covered". Winterflood.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Spezialistenmodell - Close Brothers Seydler Bank AG". Cbseydler.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Rentenhandel - Close Brothers Seydler Bank AG". Cbseydler.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Designated Sponsoring - Close Brothers Seydler Bank AG". Cbseydler.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Bond magazine 15
- Bond magazine 37
- Essex, Martin (2013-05-21). "Plight of the Navigators - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Coverage Liste - Close Brothers Seydler Bank AG". Cbseydler.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Close Brothers' AUM falls 10%". Citywire. 8 March 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2017.