Close Enough for Love (Andy Williams album)
|Close Enough for Love|
|Studio album by Andy Williams|
|Recorded||September 22–24, 1986|
|Studio||AIR Recording Studios, London|
|Andy Williams chronology|
Close Enough for Love is an album by American pop singer Andy Williams that was released in 1986 by Atco Records. Williams writes in the liner notes: "This is essentially a ‘live’ album. Our objective was to get real performances from both the orchestra and myself, as opposed to the sometimes sterile perfection of countless overdubs and tracking sessions. To my amazement, we used the first takes on most of the songs. The excitement of first hearing Jeremy's arrangements affected me so, that I found a quality in my singing that wasn't there in later takes."
The phrase "Romantic Music from the Movies" on the back of the CD booklet conveys the theme of the album, with half of the songs dating from the decade previous to its release and the other half going back to the era of traditional pop. Williams even updates the title songs from two of his albums, "Moon River" and "Days of Wine and Roses", with what, for 1986, were very modern adult contemporary arrangements.
Williams told an interviewer at the time that he was excited the album was being released by Atco. "It's a label for rock 'n' rollers, but they're very excited about the album. They're going to promote it like they promote Twisted Sister," Williams said. "They think I can have a hit."
- "How Do You Keep the Music Playing?" (Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, Michel Legrand) - 4:36
- "Moon River" (Henry Mancini, Johnny Mercer) - 4:10
- "Change Partners" (Irving Berlin) - 4:06
- "Lucky to Be Me" (Betty Comden, Adolph Green) - 4:04
- "My Funny Valentine" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) - 3:56
- "Days of Wine and Roses" (Henry Mancini, Johnny Mercer) - 4:14
- "Through the Eyes of Love" (Marvin Hamlisch, Carole Bayer Sager) - 4:46
- "Close Enough for Love" (Johnny Mandel, Paul Williams) - 3:46
- "The Music of Goodbye" (John Barry, Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman) - 4:32
- "'Round Midnight" (Bernie Hanighen, Thelonious Monk, Cootie Williams) - 5:44
Adapted from the liner notes.
- (1986) Album notes for Close Enough for Love by Andy Williams, [CD booklet]. New York: Atco Records 90561-1.
- "Close Enough for Love - Andy Williams". allmusic.com. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- Protzman, Bob (Dec 19, 1986). "Andy Williams releases his first album in 4 years". The Day (Knight-Ridder).
- Whitburn, Joel (1986), Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories, 1890-1954, Record Research Inc., ISBN 0-89820-083-0
- Whitburn, Joel (2004), Joel Whitburn Presents Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles, 1942-2004, Record Research Inc., ISBN 0-89820-160-8
- Whitburn, Joel (2007), Joel Whitburn Presents Billboard Top Adult Songs, 1961-2006, Record Research Inc., ISBN 0-89820-169-1
- Whitburn, Joel (2009), Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles, 1955-2008, Record Research Inc., ISBN 0-89820-180-2
- Wiley, Mason; Bona, Damien (1996), Inside Oscar: The Unofficial History of the Academy Awards, Ballantine Books, ISBN 0-345-40053-4