Closer to Home
|Closer to Home|
|Studio album by Grand Funk Railroad|
|Released||June 15, 1970|
|Genre||Hard rock, blues rock, psychedelic rock|
|Grand Funk Railroad chronology|
|Singles from Closer to Home|
|Robert Christgau||C+ link|
|The Village Voice||B|
Closer to Home is Grand Funk Railroad's third studio album and was released on June 15, 1970 by Capitol Records. It was produced by Terry Knight. This album reached RIAA gold record status in 1970, making it the group's third gold record in one year. The songs "Sin's a Good Man's Brother" and "Aimless Lady" were later covered by South African group Suck. "Sin's a Good Man's Brother" was also covered by the band Monster Magnet on their first full-length album Spine of God (1991), by former Dokken guitarist George Lynch on his 2004 covers album "Furious George", and by Gov't Mule on their album The Deep End, Volume 1 (2001). The album's inside artwork shows a live photo of the band performing at Madison Square Garden in February 1970.
In 2002 Closer to Home was remastered on compact disc with bonus tracks and also released in a limited-edition box set Trunk of Funk that contained the band's first four albums. The "trunk" has slots for twelve CDs to house the future release of the remaining eight albums that were released by Capitol. Also included is a pair of "Shinin' On" 3-D glasses, guitar pick and a sticker reproducing a concert ticket.
In the 2009 film Law Abiding Citizen, the song "Sin's a Good Man's Brother" is featured in the closing credits.
All songs written by Mark Farner.
- "Sin's a Good Man's Brother" 4:35
- "Aimless Lady" 3:25
- "Nothing Is the Same" 5:10
- "Mean Mistreater" 4:25
- "Get It Together" 5:07
- "I Don't Have to Sing the Blues" 4:35
- "Hooked On Love" 7:10
- "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)" 10:09
2002 reissue bonus tracks
- "Mean Mistreater" [Alternate Mix]
- "In Need" [Live]
- "Heartbreaker" [Live]
- "Mean Mistreater" [Live]
|1970||"Closer to Home"||Billboard Hot 100||22|
- Christgau, Robert (July 30, 1970). "Consumer Guide (12)". The Village Voice. New York. Retrieved April 14, 2013.
- Suck, Time to Suck Retrieved March 23, 2015
- Grand Funk Railroad, Closer to Home US Chart Position Retrieved March 23, 2015
- Grand Funk Railroad, Closer to Home Australian Chart Position Retrieved March 23, 2015
- Grand Funk Railroad, Closer to Home Canadian Chart Position Retrieved March 23, 2015
- Grand Funk Railroad, "Close to Home" Chart Position Retrieved March 23, 2015