Closer to Truth
|Closer to Truth: Cosmos. Consciousness. Meaning (God).|
|Created by||Robert Lawrence Kuhn|
|Written by||Robert Lawrence Kuhn|
|Directed by||Peter Getzels|
|Presented by||Robert Lawrence Kuhn|
|Theme music composer||Joseph Schwantner|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||16|
|No. of episodes||201 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Robert Lawrence Kuhn|
|Production company(s)||The Kuhn Foundation, in association with Getzels Gordon Productions|
|Distributor||Executive Program Services|
|Original release||2000– present|
|Closer to Truth Website|
Closer to Truth is a continuing television series on public television originally created, produced and hosted by Robert Lawrence Kuhn. The first premiere series aired in 2000 for 2 seasons, followed by a second series aired in 2003 for a single season. The third series of the program, Closer to Truth: Cosmos. Consciousness. God, launched in 2008, with 15 full seasons to date. See List of Closer to Truth episodes. Closer to Truth has had over 150,000 station broadcasts.
The show is centered on on-camera conversations with leading scientists, philosophers, theologians, and scholars, covering a diverse range of topics or questions from the cause, size and nature of the universe (or multiverse), to the mystery of consciousness and the notion of free will, to the existence and essence of God, to the mystery of existence (why is there anything at all).
The Closer to Truth website features extensive conversations in addition to those that have been broadcast on TV (~4,000 videos). It is the world’s largest archive of video interviews with leading experts in cosmos (philosophy of cosmology/physics), consciousness (philosophy of religion), meaning (philosophy of religion) - www.closertotruth.com.
Many well-known intellectuals have been featured on Closer to Truth. They include: Scott Aaronson, David Albert, Andreas Albrecht, Peter Atkins, Francisco Ayala, Julian Baggini, David Baltimore, Simon Blackburn, Susan Blackmore, Colin Blakemore, Nick Bostrom, Raphael Bousso, Rodney Brooks, Sean Carroll, Sarah Coakley, Gregory Chaitin, David Chalmers, Deepak Chopra, Francis Collins, Robin Collins, William Lane Craig, Michael Crichton, Paul Davies, William Dembski, Daniel Dennett, David Deutsch, Frank Drake, Willem Drees, Freeman Dyson, David Eagleman, George Ellis, Wendy Freedman, Murray Gell-Mann, Rebecca Newberger Goldstein, Alison Gopnik, A.C. Grayling, Susan Greenfield, Neils Gregerson, David Gross, Alan Guth Stuart Hameroff, John Hawthorne, John Hick, Donald Hoffman, Nicholas Humphrey, Chris Isham, Brian Josephson, Subhash Kak, Michio Kaku, Stuart Kauffman, Christof Koch, Steven Koonin, Lawrence Krauss, Ray Kurzweil, Robert Laughlin, Stephen Law, Brian Leftow, John Leslie, Andrei Linde, Rodolfo Llinas, Seth Lloyd, Elizabeth Loftus, Juan Maldacena, Hugh McCann, Colin McGinn, Alister McGrath, Ernan McMullin, Alfred Mele, Marvin Minsky, J.P. Moreland, Nancey Murphy, Yujin Nagasawa (ユウジン・ナガサワ), Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Timothy O'Connor, Don Page, Roger Penrose, Alvin Plantinga, John Polkinghorne, Huw Price, Martin Rees, John Searle, Michael Shermer, Walter Sinnott-Armstrong, Huston Smith, Quentin Smith, Lee Smolin, Robert Spitzer, Paul Steinhardt, Galen Strawson, Leonard Susskind, Richard Swinburne, Raymond Tallis, Max Tegmark, Kip Thorne, Giulio Tononi, Michael Tooley, Peter van Inwagen, Alexander Vilenkin, Keith Ward, Steven Weinberg, Geoffrey West, Frank Wilczek, and Stephen Wolfram.
- EPS Programs - C
- "Closer to Truth". Wgbh.org. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Closer to Truth schedule on MPTV". Mptv.org. Archived from the original on 2014-10-27. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Colorado Public Television, Denver PBS, CPT12 (Formerly KBDI)". Cpt12.org. Archived from the original on 2013-12-02. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Closer to Truth on Alabama Public Television". Apthd.com. Archived from the original on 2014-08-06. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Closer to Truth | KQED Public Media for Northern CA". Kqed.org. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Science & Religion Today: We're Getting "Closer to Truth"". Scienceandreligiontoday.blogspot.com. 2008-09-10. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Luke Muehlhauser (2009-06-05). "Closer to Truth". Commonsenseatheism.com. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Content Guide". Closer to Truth. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Robert Lawrence Kuhn « The Chopra Foundation". Choprafoundation.org. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Reel Life - Bethesda Magazine - September-October 2013 - Bethesda, MD". Bethesda Magazine. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Current, Edward (2012-04-09). "Biocentricity.net: Paul Davies Gets It Right". Biocentricity.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Smart, David (13 September 2009). "Closer to Truth: Into God". The Aristophrenium. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "What Does an Expanding Universe Mean?". Science and Religion Today. 2010-02-24. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Subhash Kak". Closer to Truth. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Christof Koch". PsychLectures. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "» Ray Kurzweil on Closer to Truth EbonGeek". Ebongeek.com. 2011-07-12. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Just How Vast is the Cosmos? | The BioLogos Forum". Biologos.org. 2009-06-26. Archived from the original on 2014-05-08. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Series - "Closer to Truth" What is a Properly Basic Belief? (Alvin Plantinga) – Intelligent Faith 315". Intelligentfaith315.com. 2011-12-12. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- manwithoutqualities (2009-12-10). "Closer to Truth: Consciousness |". Manwithoutqualities.com. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "The Universes of Max Tegmark". Space.mit.edu. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Logan, Ian (2009-11-10). "The Saint Anselm Blog: Closer to Truth, except in the case of Anselm". Anselm2009.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2014-06-17.