|Headquarters||London (United Kingdom), Kiev (Ukraine), Stuttgart (Germany) and Menlo Park, CA, United States|
|Nick Black, Juha Christensen, Jorgen Smidt, Arnon Dinur, James Brown|
Number of employees
CloudMade is a connected car company with products including a machine learning platform, a content aggregation platform, a connected car analytics solution and a map data crowdsourcing toolset. CloudMade’s officers include CEO Juha Christensen, Chief Product Officer Nick Black and investor Arnon Dinur.
CloudMade’s products are intended for car manufacturers and suppliers. The company offers a range of software solutions which include:
Predictive Learning System - a proprietary machine learning platform used by connected car OEMs to enable personalized user experiences. The platform builds on CloudMade’s Smart Data, Hybrid Data and Mapsafe technologies to enable machine learning in any connected car. CloudMade claim that their system is unique because it distributes learning and predictions, using the relatively low cost and powerful cloud systems like Amazon AWS from which to run machine learning processes, whilst carrying out all predictions in the car.
Connected Car Content - a content aggregation platform created by CloudMade that aggregates location based content from multiple different sources and makes it available within a connected car. The system is built using CloudMade’s Hybrid Data technology to manage synchronization of data sets between the cloud and the car.
Car and Driver Analytics - a data collection and aggregation system that sits inside a car where it collects data from the vehicle’s CAN bus, then transmits the data to the cloud.
My Driving Partner is designed to learn the individual driving habits and to follow up with customized advice to promote driving that is smoother and more relaxing.
By learning driver’s habits and storing dangerous spots along the user’s most frequently used routes, My Driving Partner can warn the driver of a risky situation and provide advice as he or she approaches the potential hazard.
Jaguar Land Rover is currently working on self-learning car technology, using CloudMade’s software solutions.
JLR self-learning car learns driver behaviour and patterns delivering a personalised automated driving experience. It uses data sources such as driving habits, weather and location. It also integrates with the driver's mobile. The smart assistant provides helpful reminders about the days events. It anticipates upcoming journeys and notifies the driver about refueling. In-car call patterns help the car predict whom the driver would like to call next.
At Mondial de l'Automobile 2016 (the Paris Motor Show) Faurecia - the global supplier of car interiors and seating systems - announced their Cockpit of the Future, which will use advanced sensors arrays, precise actuators and machine learning powered by CloudMade.
According to CEO Juha Christensen CloudMade works with companies in US, Europe and Asia.
In 2013 Centralized location storage system and method were patented by Nick Black, Jim Brown and Cragg Nilson on CloudMade’s behalf. The invention enables a user to save locations (e.g., addresses, business names, landmarks, etc.) to a central storage location from within third party applications and then automatically see saved location information on registered client devices, including navigational devices. Third party applications can include non-map related applications.
CloudMade's Style Editor allows users to edit the color scheme and layers visible in web-accessible maps – allowing customization that Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, and other large-scale competitors have not provided. Like OpenStreetMap itself, CloudMade uses Mapnik to render its maps, though the rest of the software stack departs from OSM's system.
The combined CloudMade and OneStepAhead platform allows consumers to access map data, points of interest (POI), routing, navigation and other data around their location even when not connected to the Internet. Its hybrid architecture also supports online connectivity, enabling the amalgamation of additional POIs and streaming of live data services, such as weather forecasts or traffic data.
Other offerings include a data marketplace, with commercial point-of-interest datasets layered on top of the open licensed OpenStreetMap maps. Some such datasets are charged for, with CloudMade taking a commission. Meanwhile, the "Sponsored POI" concept involves advertising companies paying money to app and web developers, for inclusion of their in-map clickable points-of-interest, as a form of location-based advertising.
In early 2009 CloudMade added Christian O. Petersen as VP Community and launched its platform to mobile and web developers signing up over 2,000 developers since.
In May 2009 Useful Networks announced their mapNinja app for the iPhone supports out-of-box connectivity to four different mapping providers including CloudMade.
In June 2009 CloudMade added Juha Christensen as Chairman & CEO.
Cloud Made Ltd (UK subsidiary) recorded a loss for 2008 of £1,426,585, with a loss for 2009 of £2,149,259, and a profit of £93,338 for 2010. The latter figure was on Turnover of nil, and was entirely due to an inter-company interest receipt of £360,750 and the write-off of interest of £426,273 that had been due on investor loans.
On October 5, 2010, OpenStreetMap founder and CloudMade cofounder Steve Coast resigned from all positions within the company. In November, Steve announced that he had accepted a position as Principal Architect at Microsoft’s BingMobile.
In December 2010 CloudMade acquired all assets of the navigation software company OneStepAhead and announced that the new technology would be used to offer customizable developer tools and location-based services for iPhone and Android. OneStepAhead was closed in early 2013.
Cloud Made Ltd recorded a loss for 2011 of £260,401 on Gross Sales of Nil, and a loss of £8,771,189 on Gross Sales of Nil for 2012. The latter reflected the write off of £8,099,495 of loans to subsidiary companies in the Cloud Made Group.
In 2015 CloudMade makes it to CIOReview’s top Automotive Technology Solution Providers list for its expertise in user experience design for consumer mobility solutions, ranging from connected cars to on-dash navigation to smartphone applications to wearables, spanning all phases of design from early conceptual thinking through to research, field testing, focus groups, execution and refinement.
- "Predictive Learning System | CloudMade". cloudmade.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Nick Black. Creating Unique Customers Relationships with Deep Learning in the Cloud and in the Car".
- "Connected Car Content | CloudMade". cloudmade.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "CloudMade Updates Offerings for the Next Four Years". Directions Magazine. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "New CloudMade Offerings Address Challenges of 2013's Location-based Services". Directions Magazine. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Car & Driver Analytics | CloudMade". cloudmade.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Map Data Enrichment | CloudMade". cloudmade.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "CLOUD MADE LIMITED - Officers (free information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "83North Venture Capital (formerly Greylock IL)". 83North. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "2016 Is The Year of The Automotive Ecosystem". cloudmade.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Creating Lifelong Customers For Your Brand". cloudmade.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "AWS Customer Presentation - Cloud Made". 2015-06-16.
- "GTC On-Demand Featured Talks | GPU Technology Conference". on-demand-gtc.gputechconf.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Renault exec wonders if Google, Apple will lose interest in auto business". Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Renault introduces My Driving Partner | Alliance Renault-Nissan Media Room - Silicon Valley Innovation Tour". www.media.blog.alliance-renault-nissan.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Privat, Ludovic. "Renault & CloudMade: Self-Learning Cars for Smoother Driving". Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Collier Motors (2014-07-23), JLR SLC PR Film, retrieved 2016-10-05
- "CloudMade and the Cockpit of the Future". Vimeo. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Privat, Ludovic. "Podcast with CloudMade Execs: Making the Car Smarter and Personalized". Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Brown, James W.; Black, Nicholas J. A.; Nilson, Cragg E. (31 Dec 2013), Centralized location storage system and method, retrieved 2016-10-05
- "Testing web map APIs - Google vs OpenLayers vs Leaflet". robinlovelace.net. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Style your own OpenStreetMap".
- "CloudMade Acquires OneStepAhead". Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "CloudMade | crunchbase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "CloudMade". angel.co. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Geo Industry Veteran Marc Prioleau Joins CloudMade as CEO | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Useful Networks Announces Release of mapNinja, the iPhone Mapping Software Development Kit | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Companies House Annual Accounts". 1 Oct 2009.
- "Companies House Annual Accounts". 15 Sep 2010.
- "Companies House Annual Accounts". 22 Sep 2011.
- "I'm working at Microsoft and we're donating imagery to OpenStreetMap! - SteveC". 2010-11-25. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "CloudMade raises USD 12.3M - Sunstone". 2010-08-11. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Rao, Leena. "CloudMade Buys Navigation Software Startup OneStepAhead". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "A Historic Commitment to Protecting the Environment and Reversing Climate Change". 2015-12-15. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Companies House Annual Accounts". 25 Nov 2013.
- "CloudMade Makes it to 20 Most Promising Automotive Technology Solution Providers 2015". cloudmade.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "20 Most Promising Automotive Tech Solution Providers 20 15". automotive.cioreview.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.