Cloudbaser Trikes Cloudbaser
The Cloudbaser Trikes Cloudbaser is a flying wing ultralight trike that was designed and produced by Cloudbaser Trikes. The aircraft was supplied as a kit and was also available as plans for amateur construction.
Production has been completed and new aircraft are no longer available.
Design and development
The aircraft was designed to comply with the US FAR 103 Ultralight Vehicles rules, including the category's maximum empty weight of 254 lb (115 kg). The Cloudbaser has a standard empty weight of 185 lb (84 kg). It features a cable-braced hang glider-style high-wing, weight-shift controls, a single-seat, open cockpit, tricycle landing gear and a single engine in pusher configuration.
The aircraft is made from bolted-together aluminum tubing, with its single surface wing covered in Dacron sailcloth. Its 185 sq ft (17.2 m2) area wing is supported by a single tube-type kingpost and uses an "A" frame control bar. Because of the light weight of the aircraft, standard hang glider wings can be used. The landing gear features a steerable nose wheel. The standard recommended engine is the Rotax 447 twin cylinder, two-stroke single ignition powerplant of 40 hp (30 kW).
The Cloudbaser was designed for minimalism and also portability. The use of a single surface wing makes it easier to fold up and transport on a car-top rack. Set up time is reported to be 30 minutes.
A two-seat version was also marketed by the company.
Specifications (single seater)
Data from Cliche
- Crew: one
- Wing area: 185 sq ft (17.2 m2)
- Empty weight: 185 lb (84 kg)
- Gross weight: 575 lb (261 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 5 U.S. gallons (19 L; 4.2 imp gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 447 twin cylinder, two-stroke single ignition aircraft engine, with 2.5:1 reduction gearbox, 40 hp (30 kW)
- Cruise speed: 50 mph (80 km/h; 43 kn)
- Stall speed: 28 mph (45 km/h; 24 kn)
- Rate of climb: 1,100 ft/min (5.6 m/s)