Cloudera, Inc. logo with tagline
|Headquarters||Palo Alto, California|
Number of locations
Palo Alto, Chicago, San Francisco, New York, North Carolina, Virginia, Austin Texas, New Hampshire, Atlanta Georgia, Kirkland WA, McLean VA
EMEA - London, Paris, Budapest.Asia / APJ - Shanghai China, Beijing China, Tokyo Japan, Singapore, Seoul Korea, Melbourne Australia, India Chennai
|Products||Cloudera Manager, Cloudera Navigator, Gazzang, Cloudera Navigator Optimizer, Impala|
|Services||Apache Hadoop distribution with support, professional services and training|
Number of employees
Cloudera Inc. is an American-based software company that provides Apache Hadoop-based software, support and services, and training to business customers.
Cloudera's open-source Apache Hadoop distribution, CDH (Cloudera Distribution Including Apache Hadoop), targets enterprise-class deployments of that technology. Cloudera says that more than 50% of its engineering output is donated upstream to the various Apache-licensed open source projects (Apache Hive, Apache Avro, Apache HBase, and so on) that combine to form the Hadoop platform. Cloudera is also a sponsor of the Apache Software Foundation.
Three engineers from Google, Yahoo and Facebook (Christophe Bisciglia, Amr Awadallah and Jeff Hammerbacher, respectively) joined with a former Oracle executive (Mike Olson) to form Cloudera in 2008. Olson was the CEO of Sleepycat Software, the creator of the open-source embedded database engine Berkeley DB (acquired by Oracle in 2006). Awadallah was from Yahoo, where he ran one of the first business units using Hadoop for data analysis. At Facebook Hammerbacher used Hadoop for building analytic applications involving massive volumes of user data.
Architect Doug Cutting, also a former chairman of the Apache Software Foundation, authored the open-source Lucene and Nutch search technologies before he wrote the initial Hadoop software in 2004. He designed and managed a Hadoop storage and analysis cluster at Yahoo! before joining Cloudera in 2009. Chief operating officer was Kirk Dunn.
In March 2009, Cloudera announced the availability of Cloudera Distribution Including Apache Hadoop in conjunction with a $5 million investment led by Accel Partners. In 2011, the company raised a further $40 million from Ignition Partners, Accel Partners, Greylock Partners, Meritech Capital Partners, and In-Q-Tel, a venture capital firm with open connections to the CIA.
In June 2013 Tom Reilly became chief executive, although Olson remained as chairman of the board and chief strategist. Reilly was chief executive at ArcSight when it was acquired by Hewlett-Packard in 2010. In March 2014 Cloudera announced a $900 million funding round, led by Intel Capital ($740 million), for that Intel received 18% share in cloudera and Intel dropped its own Hadoop distribution and dedicated 70 Intel engineers to work exclusively on cloudera projects. With additional funds coming from T Rowe Price, Google Ventures and an affiliate of MSD Capital, L.P., the private investment firm for Michael S. Dell. and others.
In January 2012 - Oracle announced exclusive partnership with Cloudera to provide first Big data Appliance powered by Cloudera
In January 2013 - Dell announced a strategic partnership with Cloudera
In March 2013 - Intel invested $740 Million in Cloudera for an 18% investment
In May 2013 - SAS announced a strategic partnership with Cloudera on how to driver predictive analytics with SAS software
In June 2014 - Accenture announced - Data as a platform offering based on Cloudera
In June 2014 - Cloudera acquired Gazzang - this gives Cloudera the most secure Hadoop distribution on the marketplace. This delivers enterprise-grade data encryption and key management, addressing head on the challenges associated with securing and processing sensitive and legally protected data within the Hadoop ecosystem. Thus fulfilling a requirement in myriad compliance regulations like HIPAA-HITECH, PCI-DSS, FERPA and the EU Data Protection Directive.
In October 2014 - Cloudera announces the first PCI compliant hadoop distribution with MasterCard.
In February 2015 - Deloitte announced a strategic alliance with Cloudera on Advanced Analytics
In May 2015 - Capgemini announced SAP HANA - Cloudera Insight driven operations - get more for less with your SAP HANA installation with Cloudera Enterprise
In July 9, 2015 - Cloudera announced partnership with Teradata - Integrated Enterprise ready Appliance for Hadoop
In September 2015 - Cloudera announced Kudu - New Apache Hadoop Storage for fast analytics on fast data
In September 2015 - Cloudera announced RecordService - Fine-grained security enforcement across the Hadoop ecosystem
In September 2015 - Microsoft Azure announced full support of Cloudera Enterprise on Azure
In November 2015 - Cloudera announced that it had reached 1,000 employees.
In Jan 2016 - TCS announced an IoT framework based on Cloudera for sensor data analytics
In Feb 2016 - EMC announces evolution in advanced storage with DSSD support for Cloudera
In March 2016 Cloudera announced onDemand Training. This allows consultants, Big data practitioners to take training at a time that suits their schedule.
In 2016 - Cloudera has expanded their international teams with over 200 people employed in EMEA with staff in over 12 countries in EMEA.
In March 2016 - Cloudera announced it had over 2,100 partners consisting of 450 Software and OEM, 1400 System Integrators and Resellers, 200 Platform and Cloud and 50 Data Systems. This means that your existing investment in ISVs, Hardware and platform partners is maintained with Cloudera. Cloudera has the largest partner eco-systems of all Hadoop Distributions.
Products and services
Cloudera offers software, services and support in three different bundles:
- Cloudera Enterprise includes CDH and an annual subscription license (per node) to Cloudera Manager and technical support. It comes in three editions: Basic, Flex, and Data Hub.
- Cloudera Express includes CDH and a version of Cloudera Manager lacking enterprise features such as rolling upgrades and backup/disaster recovery, LDAP and SNMP integration.
- CDH may be downloaded from Cloudera's website at no charge, but with no technical support nor Cloudera Manager.
- Cloudera Navigator - is the only complete data governance solution for Hadoop, offering critical capabilities such as data discovery, continuous optimization, audit, lineage, metadata management, and policy enforcement. As part of Cloudera Enterprise, Cloudera Navigator is critical to enabling high-performance agile analytics, supporting continuous data architecture optimization, and meeting regulatory compliance requirements.
- Cloudera Navigator Optimizer (beta) - A SaaS based tool to provides instant insights into your workloads and recommends optimization strategies to get the best results with Hadoop.
- Cloudera University - World class training provided by Cloudera university
- Cloudera Professional Services - World class professionals to help with customer success.
- Cloudera Support - World class support team available 24x7 to help customers proactively and predictively ensure success
All versions may be downloaded from Cloudera's website.
CDH contains the main, core elements of Hadoop that provide reliable, scalable distributed data processing of large data sets (chiefly MapReduce and HDFS), as well as other enterprise-oriented components that provide security, high availability, and integration with hardware and other software.
- In April 2010, Chief Scientist Jeff Hammerbacher was named a "Best Young Tech Entrepreneur" by Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
- In June 2012, received Morgan Stanley's "CTO Award for Innovation".
- In August 2012, CRN named Cloudera among the "The 25 Coolest Emerging Vendors For 2012".
- "About Cloudera". Cloudera.
- "Apache Software Foundation Sponsorship". Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- Vance, Ashlee (16 March 2009). "Bottling the Magic Behind Google an Facebook". The New York Times. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "This Former Yahoo-er's Startup Is So Hot, Even the CIA Invested In It". Archived from the original on February 9, 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "This Tech Bubble Is Different". Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "Bloomberg Business Week, Executive Profile Kirk Dunn". Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Wauters, Robin (16 March 2009). "Cloudera Raises $5 Million Series A Round For Hadoop Commercialization". TechCrunch. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "Hadoop-based startup Cloudera raises $40M from Ignition Partners, Accel, Greylock". Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- Timothy Prickett Morgan (20 June 2013). "Cloudera taps new CEO for inevitable IPO push or acquisition: Former CEO becomes chairman and chief strategist". The Register. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Noel Randewich (31 March 2014). "Intel invested $740 million to buy 18 percent of Cloudera". Reuters.
- "Oracle Selects Cloudera to Provide Apache Hadoop Distribution and Tools for Oracle Big Data Appliance".
- Dell us. "Dell Apache Hadoop Solutions - Dell". Dell.
- "Intel invested $740 million to buy 18 percent of Cloudera".
- "How the SAS and Cloudera Platforms Work Together". Cloudera Engineering Blog.
- "Accenture Forms Alliance with Cloudera to Empower Enterprises with Data as a Platform Offering".
- "cloudera strengthens hadoop security with acquisition of gazzang". Cloudera.
- "cloudera enterprise certified for full pci compliance". Cloudera.
- "cloudera deloitte announce strategic alliance". Cloudera.
- "Insights-Driven Operations with SAP HANA and Cloudera Enterprise". Capgemini Capgemini Worldwide.
- "Cloudera and Teradata Announce Integrated, Enterprise-Ready Appliance for Hadoop". Cloudera.
- "Kudu: New Apache Hadoop Storage for Fast Analytics on Fast Data". Cloudera Engineering Blog.
- "RecordService: For Fine-Grained Security Enforcement Across the Hadoop Ecosystem". Cloudera Engineering Blog.
- "Full support of Cloudera Enterprise on Azure". Microsoft.
- "TCS Sensor Data Analytics IoT Framework with Cloudera". Cloudera.
- "EMC DSSD and Cloudera Evolve Hadoop: Innovating to deliver high-performance enterprise analytics on Hadoop" (PDF). EMC Corporation. 2016. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- "OnDemand Training". Cloudera.
- "Cloudera Navigator". Cloudera.
- "Cloudera Optimizer".
- "Cloudera Professional Services". Cloudera.
- "Get support where and when you need it.". Cloudera.
- Henschen, Doug (6 June 2012). "Cloudera Releases Next-Generation Hadoop Platform". InformationWeek. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- Brust, Andrew (25 October 2012). "Cloudera’s Impala brings Hadoop to SQL and BI". ZDNet. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Best Young Technology Entrepreneurs 2010". Archived from the original on July 7, 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "Cloudera Honored by Morgan Stanley With Prestigious 'CTO Award for Innovation'". Retrieved 28 August 2012.[dead link]
- "The 25 Coolest Emerging Vendors For 2012". Retrieved 28 August 2012.