A sou of Clovis II
|King of Neustria and Burgundy|
|Died||657 (aged 23–24)|
Clovis II (633 – 657) is King of Neustria and Burgundy succeeded his father Dagobert I in 639. His brother Sigebert III had been King of Austrasia since 634. He was initially under the regency of his mother Nanthild until her death in her early thirties in 642. Nanthild was probably poisoned or secretly murdered by the nobility, as her death allowed Clovis to fall under the influence of the secular magnates, who reduced the royal power in their own favour; first Aega and then Erchinoald. The Burgundian mayor of the palace Flaochad used him to lure his rival, Willebad, to a battle in Autun, where Willebad was killed.
Clovis' wife, Balthild, whose Anglo-Saxon origins are now considered doubtful, was sold into slavery in Gaul. She had been owned by the Neustrian mayor of the palace, Erchinoald, who gave her to him to garner royal favour. She bore him three sons who all became kings after his death. The eldest, Chlothar, succeeded him and his second eldest, Childeric, was placed on the Austrasian throne by Ebroin while Clovis was still alive. The youngest, Theuderic, succeeded Childeric in Neustria and eventually became the sole king of the Franks.
Clovis was a minor for almost the whole of his reign. He is sometimes regarded as king of Austrasia during the interval 656–57 when Childebert the Adopted had usurped the throne. He is often regarded as an early roi fainéant. Medieval monks deemed him insane and attribute "the stupidity of his descendants" to that cause. Noted Belgian historian Henri Pirenne stated that Clovis "died insane."
- McConville 2018, p. 362. sfn error: no target: CITEREFMcConville2018 (help)
- . 23 March 2012 https://web.archive.org/web/20120323065327/http://www.yazaroku.com/fguncel/taha-kivanc/26-04-2011/rtib-efendi-gunumuzu-yorumluyor/338445/.aspx. Archived from the original on 23 March 2012. Missing or empty
- "Saint Bathilde". New Advent. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- Platts, John (1825). A New Universal Biography. London: Sherwood, Jones, and Company. p. 2.2.468.
clovis ii biography.
- Pirenne, Henri (1939). Mohammad and Charlemagne. London: Routledge. p. 191. ISBN 978-0486420110. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- Media related to Clovis II at Wikimedia Commons
Clovis IIBorn: 633 Died: 657
| King of Neustria and Burgundy