Clown (Korn song)
|Single by Korn|
|from the album Korn|
|Released||July 12, 1995|
|Recorded||1994 at Indigo Ranch Studios, Malibu, California|
|Length||4:36 (3:38; radio edit)|
|Label||Epic Records/Immortal Records|
|Songwriter(s)||Reginald Arvizu, Jonathan Davis, James Shaffer, David Silveria, Brian Welch|
|Korn singles chronology|
What inspired Jonathan Davis to write this song though, was an early gig in San Diego where a person in the audience was booing them and telling them to "go back to Bakersfield!" Jonathan knelt down to hear him and the guy took a swing at him. He missed and the band's manager assaulted him. The person was all tattooed and looked like a "clown" to Jonathan Davis, inspiring the title of the song and also the line "Hit me clown, because I'm not from your town." Preceding the song is a conversation with Korn fooling around at the song's recording. A quote taken from Korn's Who Then Now?' video, which serves as an introduction for the music video:
|“||I wrote a song about a guy in San Diego who took a swing at me. He's all "Fuck you! Go back to Bakersfield!" Well I didn't understand that, so I bent down and he tried to swing at me, and our road manager Jeff knocked his ass out, that song is Clown.||”|
The video begins with the band walking in a hallway of a high school. There are shots of a clown balancing something on his nose. Soon, the band starts playing in a locker room which appears to be happening at night. Jonathan Davis is seen singing and, in some clips, he's sitting in a locker room inside one of the dry showers. With a few people spraying a little bit of water on his hair to tease him. This represents some of his painful experiences in high school of being teased. It also features the band in a gym with clips of jocks in their football jerseys and cheerleaders seen by someone in the halls. One of the cheerleaders goes into a bathroom and starts smiling in the dark room. She proceeds to brush her hair with her hands. Clips also show the band performing in a dark room. The video ends with the cheerleader in the bathroom taking off her shirt, showing a tattoo on her back which is the band's logo. The music video most likely could be them in the school after a football game at night. The music video aired in 1995 and was directed by McG.
Appearances in other media
US Radio Promo
- "Clown" – 4:36
Note: the back cover does not state which version this is. However, it's identical to the Radio Edit on the below European promo.
European Radio Promo
- "Clown" (Radio Edit) – 3:52
- "Korn - Clown (CD) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Small 1998, p. 16.
- Arvizu 2009, p. 69.
- "Indigo Ranch Studios - CDs and Vinyl at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Wiederhorn, Jon (July 1, 2013). "NOISEY VS. METALSUCKS - THREATEN MY FAMILY IF YOU MUST, BUT I STILL SAY KORN RULES". Vice.
- McIver, Joel (2002). "How did we get to nu-metal from old metal?". Nu-metal: The Next Generation of Rock & Punk. Omnibus Press. pp. 10, 12. ISBN 0-7119-9209-6.
- Thomas, Stephen (1994-10-11). "Korn - Korn : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Korn – Korn : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- Furman 2000, pp. 49–52.
- "GEAR". Kornseed.cro.net. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Korn - Clown". Shelf3d. Retrieved Feb 18, 2013.
- "Korn - Clown". VEVO. October 25, 2009. Retrieved Feb 18, 2013.
- "Korn "Clown"". Scotthen Riksen. Retrieved Feb 17, 2013.
- "12.06.2012 в 08:49Пишет Niaka: Безусловно, один из лучших моментов в Дарье - музыка ^^ [изображение] Это список песен, играющих в сериале и полнометражках - Daria: Season 1 Episode 01 - Esteems... :: Mystic Spiral fansite :: @дневники: асоциальная сеть". www.diary.ru.
- TV.com. "Daria: That Was Then, This is Dumb". TV.com.
- "Clown US Radio Promo (ESK 6580)". Korn.simpol.net. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- "Clown European Radio Promo (ESK 7735)". Korn.simpol.net. Retrieved November 20, 2011.