Club Sportivo Sergipe
|Full name||Club Sportivo Sergipe|
|Nickname(s)||Colorado, O Mais Querido(The Most Loved), Gipão|
|Founded||October 17, 1909|
|Stadium||João Hora de Oliveira,
Club Sportivo Sergipe, or Sergipe as they are usually called, is a Brazilian football team from Aracaju in Sergipe, founded on October 17, 1909, making them the second oldest Sergipe state football club. Club Sportivo Sergipe is the only team in the state of Sergipe that have played against foreign opposition. They've faced the Argentina youth team, Sparta Prague, Alianza Lima and the Ghana national team. They are the only team to have won six state championships in a row in Sergipe.
Sergipe's main rival is Confiança.
They play their home games at the Estádio João Hora de Oliveira, capacity 8,000.
On October 17, 1909, in Aracaju, the club was founded by dissidents of Cotingüiba Esporte Clube (Cotingüiba was founded on October 10, 1909, and was the first club in Aracaju (named after the Cotinguiba River) who wanted to name the team after the Sergipe River that passes through the capital Aracaju. So following Adalberto Monteiro, Euclides Porto, Adalgiso Rosal, José Couto de Farias, Tancredo Campos, Américo Silva, Francisco Bessa and others, they got together at noon on October 11 in Commercial Association and decided the next Sunday to found Club Sportivo Sergipe. Sergipe was initially founded as a rowing club, and in January 1910 the first boat was baptized as Nereida. The first head office was in a garage on Ivo do Prado Avenue.
In 1916, Sergipe officially started to support football.
- 1-0 over Ceará state team in 1926;
- 4-2 over Botafogo–BA (Bahia state champions) in 1936;
- 3-1 over Alagoas state team in 1940;
- 8-2 over Vitória–BA in 1942;
- 2-0 over Bangu (Rio de Janeiro state champion) in 1967;
- 3-1 over Argentina youth team in 1968 (first match between local club and foreign team).
- Campeonato Sergipano (Sergipe state championship): 1922, 1924, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1932, 1933, 1937, 1940, 1943, 1955, 1961, 1964, 1967, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2013, 2016;
- Start tournament: 1921, 1942, 1946, 1963;
- Centenary of Maceió tournament: 1939;
- Capital Champion: 1939, 1945, 1960;
- City of Aracaju Tournament: 1968. Participating clubs: Vitória, Confiança and Bonsucesso;
- Runner-up of Walter Passos Tournament in 1962. Participating clubs: Bahia (champion), Leônico and Portuguesa-RJ. All games were played in Fonte Nova Stadium, Salvador.
- Campeonato Sergipano: 1911, 1913, 1916, 1919, 1922, 1929, 1939,1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1946.
- Torcida Esquadrão Colorado
- Torcida Gigante Rubro
- (Portuguese) Sergipe at Campeões do Futebol
- Enciclopédia do Futebol Brasileiro, Volume 2 - Lance, Rio de Janeiro: Aretê Editorial S/A, 2001.
- (Portuguese) Official Website