Cluck Old Hen
"Cluck Old Hen" is a popular Appalachian fiddle and banjo tune in the mixolydian or dorian mode (as in the score below which is in A dorian). It is played either as an instrumental or with lyrics, which vary from one version to another. One of the earliest reported transcriptions of the tune dates from 1886. The earliest recording is attributed to Fiddlin' John Carson, in 1923.
- Yates, Mike. "Far in the Mountains : Volumes 1 & 2 of Mike Yates' 1979-83 Appalachian Collection". Musical Traditions. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Brody, David (1983). The Fiddler's Fake Book. New York: Oak Publications. p. 70. ISBN 0-8256-0238-6.
- Description in "Traditional Ballad Index of Folk Songs from the English-Speaking World", Folklore department, California State University, Fresno
- Discussion thread regarding lyrics and origins, from Mudcat Café
Recordings and transcriptions
- The sheet music
- Recording by Fiddlin' and Family Powers information and mp3 download from Project Gutenberg*.
|This folk song–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|