Clwyd South (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Clwyd South in Wales
|Electorate||54,895 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Corwen, Ruabon, Rhosllannerchrugog, Llangollen, Coedpoeth|
|Member of Parliament||Susan Jones (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Clwyd South West, Wrexham|
|Welsh Assembly||North Wales|
|European Parliament constituency||Wales|
Clwyd South (De Clwyd in Welsh) is a constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (Westminster). The constituency was created in 1997, and it elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post method of election.
The Clwyd South Welsh Assembly constituency was created with the same boundaries in 1999.
The constituency straddles the authorities of Denbighshire and Wrexham. Main population centres includes the Wrexham suburbs of Ruabon, Chirk, Rhosllannerchrugog, Cefn Mawr and Coedpoeth, and Llangollen and Corwen further up the Dee valley to the west. Until the 2010 election, the constituency used to include a small part of the preserved county of Powys. This anomaly was resolved by the Boundary Commission for Wales with the boundaries first used in 2010.
However, under constituency changes announced in September 2016 by the Boundary Commission, it is proposed that for the next general election the northern part of the Montgomeryshire constituency area of Powys including Welshpool be merged with this seat to form a new seat, named South Clwyd and North Montgomeryshire.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Labour||Susan Elan Jones||19,002||50.7||+13.5|
|Plaid Cymru||Christopher Allen||2,292||6.1||-4.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Bruce Roberts||731||2.0||-1.8|
|Labour||Susan Elan Jones||13,051||37.2||-1.2|
|Conservative||David Nicholls ||10,649||30.4||+0.2|
|Plaid Cymru||Mabon ap Gwynfor||3,620||10.3||+1.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Bruce Roberts||1,349||3.8||-13.4|
|Labour||Susan Elan Jones||13,311||38.4||-6.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Bruce Roberts||5,965||17.2||+1.7|
|Plaid Cymru||Janet Ryder||3,009||8.7||-0.8|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Deric Burnham||5,105||15.5||+5.3|
|Plaid Cymru||Mark Strong||3,111||9.4||-2.5|
|Forward Wales||Alwyn Humphreys||803||2.4||+2.4|
|Plaid Cymru||Dyfed Edwards||3,982||11.9||+5.5|
|Liberal Democrat||David Griffiths||3,426||10.2||+0.9|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Andrew Chadwick||3,684||9.4||-1.7|
|Plaid Cymru||Gareth V. Williams||2,500||6.3||-1.6|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- Clwyd South (Assembly constituency)
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Clwyd
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Wales
Notes and references
- "Beyond 20/20 WDS - Table view". 2011 Electorate Figures. StatsWales. 1 December 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "A radical shake-up of the constituency". Shropshire Star. 13 September 2016. p. 10.Report by Mark Andrews, dealing with constituencies in or bordering Shropshire.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 5)
- "Full Candidate List for Wrexham & Clwyd South". Wrexham.com. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Clwyd South". BBC News. Retrieved 2 April 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Clwyd South result" (PDF). DECLARATION OF RESULT OF POLL. Wrexham County Borough Council. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "David Nicholls PPC page". Conservative Party (UK). Archived from the original on 31 March 2015. Retrieved 16 January 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Clwyd South Wrexham CBC - Clwyd South candidates
- Clwyd South BBC Election -Clwyd South
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Politics Resources (Election results from 1922 onwards)
- Electoral Calculus (Election results from 1955 onwards)
- 2017 Election House Of Commons Library 2017 Election report
- A Vision Of Britain Through Time (Constituency elector numbers)