Clwyd West (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Clwyd West in Wales.
|Electorate||58,544 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Abergele, Colwyn Bay, Ruthin|
|Member of parliament||David Jones (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Clwyd South West and Clwyd North West|
|Welsh Assembly||North Wales|
|European Parliament constituency||Wales|
Clwyd West (Gorllewin Clwyd in Welsh) is a constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (at Westminster). It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post method of election. The current MP is David Jones of the Conservative Party, first elected at the 2005 general election and who also served as Secretary of State for Wales from 4 September 2012 until 14 July 2014.
Following the Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies, as confirmed by 'The Parliamentary Constituencies and Assembly Electoral Regions (Wales) Order 2006', the boundaries of Clwyd West is formed from the following electoral wards;
- From Conwy County Borough: Abergele Pensarn, Betws yn Rhos, Colwyn, Eirias, Gele, Glyn, Kinmel Bay, Llanddulas, Llandrillo yn Rhos, Llanfair Talhaiarn, Llangernyw, Llansannan, Llysfaen, Mochdre, Pentre Mawr, Rhiw, Towyn, Uwchaled
- From Denbighshire County: Efenechtyd, Llanarmon-yn-Ial/Llandegla, Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd/Llangynhafal, Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd/Gwyddelwern, Llanrhaeadr-yng-Nghinmeirch, Ruthin.
The constituency was created in 1997 from parts of the seats of Clwyd South West and Clwyd North West. In the 2005 election this constituency was the Conservative Party's twentieth target. The area has generally voted for Conservative candidates, though it was won by Labour in their 1997 and 2001 landslides.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Labour||Gareth Thomas ||9,733||25.6||+0.9|
|Plaid Cymru||Marc Jones ||4,651||12.2||−3.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Sarah Lesiter-Burgess||1,387||3.6||−11.6|
|Socialist Labour||Bob English||612||1.6||n/a|
|Above and Beyond||Rory Jepson||194||0.5||n/a|
|Plaid Cymru||Llyr Huws Gruffydd||5,864||15.4||+4.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Michele Jones||5,801||15.2||+1.9|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Frank Taylor||4,723||13.3||+1.9|
|Plaid Cymru||Eilian Williams||3,874||10.9||−2.0|
|Socialist Labour||Patrick Keenan||313||0.9||+0.9|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+1.8|
|Plaid Cymru||Elfed Williams||4,453||12.9||−0.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Mrs. Robina L. Feeley||3,934||11.4||−1.4|
Elections in the 1990s
|Plaid Cymru||Eryl W. Williams||5,421||13.5||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Gwyn Williams||5,151||12.8||N/A|
|Referendum||Mrs. Heather Bennett-Collins||1,114||2.8||N/A|
|Conservatory||David K. Neal||583||1.4||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Beyond 20/20 WDS - Table view". 2011 Electorate Figures. StatsWales. 1 December 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 5)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Clwyd West result" (PDF). DECLARATION OF RESULT OF POLL. Conwy County Borough Council. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Clwyd West, Cyngor Conwy Council - candidates Clwyd West
- Clwyd West BBC Election - Clwyd West