Clyde Locomotive Company
|Successor||Sharp Stewart and Company|
|Founder||Walter Montgomerie Neilson|
In 1886, the first locomotives were built; these were a class of eight 4-4-0s for the Highland Railway, known as the Clyde Bogies. Two locomotives built in 1887, which had been ordered by the Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway, were delivered to that company's successor, the Ayrshire and Wigtownshire Railway.
In 1888, the long established engineering firm Sharp Stewart and Company wanted to expand, but finding it impossible to extend their existing Atlas Works in Manchester (which had no direct rail access), they decided to move to Glasgow; they bought the Clyde Locomotive Co. and renamed it Atlas Works after their former premises. When Sharp Stewart amalgamated with other firms in 1903 to form the North British Locomotive Company, the Atlas Works continued to build locomotives until its closure in 1923.
Between 1886 and 1888, eight orders were received, only five of which (totalling fourteen locomotives) were completed by the Clyde Locomotive Co.; the last three orders were completed by Sharp Stewart & Co.
|E1||4-4-0||Highland Railway||8||Highland Railway E Class|
|E2||0-4-0ST||John McAndrew, Dalzell;
Watt & Wilson, Greenock
|E3||0-4-0ST||Eglinton Iron Co., Santander||1|
|E5||0-6-0||Ayrshire & Wigtownshire Railway||2|
|E6||4-4-0||Brazilian Government Railway||8||Sharp Stewart works nos. 3291–8|
|E7||4-4-0||Argentine Central Railway||6||Sharp Stewart works nos. 3424–9. Metre gauge|
|E8||2-6-0||Uruguay Northern Railway||2||Sharp Stewart works nos. 3430–1|
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. London: Guild Publishing. CN 8983.
- Baxter, Bertram (1984). Baxter, David, ed. Volume 4: Scottish and remaining English Companies in the LMS Group. British Locomotive Catalogue 1825-1923. Ashbourne: Moorland Publishing.
- Cooke, B.W.C., ed. (December 1964). "The Why and the Wherefore: Two Glasgow locomotive builders". Railway Magazine. Vol. 110 no. 764. Westminster: Tothill Press.
- Cormack, J.R.H.; Stevenson, J.L. (1988). Greenwood, William, ed. Highland Railway Locomotives Book 1: Early Days to the 'Lochs'. Locomotives of the LMS. Lincoln: RCTS. ISBN 0-901115-64-9.
- Lowe, James W. (1989) . British Steam Locomotive Builders. Guild Publishing. CN8274.
- Marshall, John (1978). A Biographical Dictionary of Railway Engineers. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. ISBN 0-7153-7489-3.