The Co-operative Energy
|Business of an Industrial and Provident Society, registered under the Companies Acts|
|Products||Gas and electricity supply|
|Parent||The Midcounties Co-operative|
The Co-operative Energy is a British energy supply company based in Warwick that began trading in 2010. It is an alternative to the Big Six energy firms and, given that its parent is Midcounties Co-operative, it is the only co-operative supplier in the market.
Co-operative Energy launched in 2010 as an alternative to the Big Six energy suppliers. Any member of the Midcounties Co-operative can share in the profits from The Co-operative Energy.
In November 2016 Co-operative Energy announced that it will take on all 160,000 customers of collapsed firm GB Energy on their existing price tariff. Ofgem said it had chosen Co-operative Energy after "a competitive process to get the best deal possible". All GB Energy's staff are to be transferred on the same terms to Co-operative Energy.
A problematic upgrade to its online customer service and billing system in 2015 resulted in numerous problems and a large backlog in dealing with issues. By the end of 2015 it was the most complained about utility company, measured in complaints per thousand customers. By the end of 2016 these issues had been resolved and the company was paying out £1.8 million pounds in compensation to customers.
- "Winners of the Which? Awards 2012 are revealed - June - 2012 - Which? News". www.which.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Co-operative Energy looks to future with User Chooser". 2014-07-09. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Co-operative Energy wins European award for empowering customers - Co-operative News". 2015-06-18. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Co-op Energy to take on GB Energy customers". BBC News. 29 November 2016.
- "Co-op Energy faces customer backlash following bungled system upgrade". Moneysavingexpert.com. 2015-03-25. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- "Co-op Energy: regulator sets sights on the new worst culprit for billing bungles". The Telegraph. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Co-operative Energy to pay £1.8 million compensation to customers over service". The Evening Express. Retrieved 30 October 2016.