The Co-operative Legal Services
|Business of a Consumer Co-operative|
|Headquarters||Manchester, United Kingdom|
|Steven Round (Chief Operating Officer), Andrew Yeo (COFA), Chris May (COLP) |
Number of employees
|Parent||The Co-operative Group|
Co-operative Legal Services Limited is a company which provides legal services in the United Kingdom, and a wholly owned subsidiary of The Co-operative Group. It was established in 2006 and has its head office in Manchester and its main operations centres in Almondsbury, Bristol and Paddington, West London.
Co-operative Legal Services was founded in 2006.
In March 2012 Co-operative Legal Services became one of the first three organisations  and the first major consumer brand  to receive approval from the Solicitors Regulation Authority to become an "alternative business structure", allowing it to offer a range of legal services which were previously only allowed to be offered by solicitors firms.
In September 2012 Co-operative Legal Services launched a family law service offering fixed fees for services including child protection, divorce, financial issues and mediation.
The writing of wills, probate and estate administration are all undertaken by Co-operative Legal Services Ltd., a subsidiary of the Co-operative Group Limited trading as The Co-operative Legal Services. Members of The Co-operative Group are entitled to earn dividend on wills and conveyancing and qualify for advice on many other aspects of the law free of charge. Personal injury or probate does not qualify for a share in the profits.
Co-operative Legal Services is headquartered in Manchester and has its main operations facility in Almondsbury Bristol, where it employs around 500 staff and a further office in Paddington, West London with 40 staff.
Co-operative Legal Services offers the following services:
- employment law;
- family law;
- personal injury;
- probate and estate administration; and
- will writing.
- "Wait for ABSs is over: Tesco law is here". The Guardian. 2 April 2012. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Registered in England and Wales under the Companies Act 1985, No. 5671209
- "Co-op Legal Services first to launch as an ABS". The Lawyer. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Co-op to hire 3,000 lawyers in challenge to high street solicitors". The Guardian. 28 May 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Co-op to create 3,000 new legal jobs across England". BBC News. 24 May 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Co-op pledges "no nasty surprises" as it launches fixed-fee family law operation". The Lawyer. 20 September 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- Registered in England and Wales under the Companies Act 1985, No. 6323818
- The Co-operative Membership Co-operative Legal Services (retrieved 20 August 2009)
- "Home". Co-operative Legal Services. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Alternative agenda". Law Society Gazette. 15 February 2007. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Co-op capture of legal aid experts could be 'Wapping moment' for family law". The Guardian. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 25 June 2012.